Lubricant treatment for hedge-trimmers... worth it?

MisterBoy

Question

Stihl do this which they recommend for their hedge trimmers in particular, but do you pros use it or anything else for that matter? It doesn't seem the cheapest however I have no idea how long a bottle lasts. They tout the resin-dissolving feature in particular but is the Stihl one anything special over regular isopropyl or whatever - how do you guys look after your trimmers?

WWW.STIHL.CO.UK

Resin solvent

Edited by MisterBoy

10 answers to this question

1 minute ago, nepia said:

I switch the machines off with the cutter surfaces as exposed as possible then paint chain oil on the whole of the cutter bars at the end of the day, nothing else.

Bar oil because it's particularly good, or simply because you always have it with you and you don't want to carry another bottle?

It was really only the "resin eating" thing that got me thinking... if people who use their tools a lot don't find resin to be an issue I'll go the WD-40 route too, I guess. I have used compressed air to clean off blades first before but I'm not sure it achieves much :)

4 hours ago, MisterBoy said:

Bar oil because it's particularly good, or simply because you always have it with you and you don't want to carry another bottle?

I don't carry it with me; I treat the blades back at home.  I think WD40's a bit lightweight but it seems to work so that's probably a misguided perception by myself.  The long and short of it is don't let the resin harden; keep it soft and the next use of the machine will shift it.

• Like 1

I don't carry it with me; I treat the blades back at home.  I think WD40's a bit lightweight but it seems to work so that's probably a misguided perception by myself.  The long and short of it is don't let the resin harden; keep it soft and the next use of the machine will shift it.
Ah, I see. Good to understand the principle behind it... Thanks!