use mine

as kindlers with a firefighter 

cheer up the woodburner

in boiler

never really tried to sell any 

too messy for the average household ?

sold a few bags at £6.00 

depending on what trees you are logging quite a bit of hand trimming required

Need to find good lengths of Ash/beech/ sycamore and take out the twiggy bits and grade them 4 inches down to 2 inches or near.  I gave up with the bags and now put them in a one ton wooden potato box and scoop them out with a coal scuttle.

Great for starting the fire or revitalising if it has died down.

I thought people might go for them if they were put in paper bags and stitched like the charcoal bags, 5 or 10 kg which would keep the wives happy as they could lift them and no debris would fall out on the way to the stove and they could just be shoved straight on and the bag would act as a firelighter.

Needless to say I have been too idle to try and market this idea at the local garages but I need someone to do the trial for me!

• Like 2

Sorry guys this is the stove I'm talking about it's a Henley G1 wood stove.

We just have loads off small timber about the farm and it's a pain cutting up stuff small that 6in.

Billhook does it season ok in the potato box's?

IMG_20200803_212844093.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david lawrence said:

i put the ash thru complete as it doesnt get too twiggy at the tips

9 hours ago, RoG said:

We just have loads off small timber about the farm and it's a pain cutting up stuff small that 6in.

not ideal but ok and much quicker

Seems to dry ok in the boxes but make sure they are the ones with  gaps between the slats and mine are stored in an open front shed with plenty of wind but sheltered from rain.

Yes the whole branch approach is quicker and very satisfying to watch but I found that if I have the whole thing set up with the Little Grey Fergie  running at idle so it stalls rather than breaks the shear bolt on a harder bit of wood and runs the unit in a peaceful way both in chopping and sound.  Then have a box load of branches stacked ready and pointing the right way, two of us, me left handed and the other right handed can fill a box in no time which saves a bit of petrol and wear on the tractor and logger. You also can put more loggings in the box or the sacks if you have no light weight springy twiggy bits taking up the space which also might annoy customers if you were trying to sell them.  

If you try the plastic mesh sacks you will find these twiggy bits become caught in the net which is really annoying

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RoG said:

I think our Aduro 9 looks much the same.  If it is , then the way it is started and run is completely different to normal wood stoves. We do not use branch loggings in it.  You have to load it in a counter intuitive way with the bigger sticks at the bottom building up like noughts and crosses to the smaller bits at the top. It smokes readily if the wood is not perfectly dry and stacked properly but when done correctly it is amazing how efficient it is  and how a small amount of wood will last a long time.