Preparing for shock of insurance cost

djbobbins

My eldest was 14 a couple of months ago. As we live in a rural(ish) area I want her to start with driving lessons once she is 17.

I was thinking last night - is it worth buying a cheap car, something with low tax, to insure in my name and build up some NCB?

My thought was that if I had 3 years NCB on a policy, even though it is going to be a big hike in costs by adding the daughter as a named driver, the NCB might help save a few quid? She probably still won’t be the main driver, as the car would be used between myself, the wife and the daughter.

Anyone done this / got any ideas?

25 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

My eldest was 14 a couple of months ago. As we live in a rural(ish) area I want her to start with driving lessons once she is 17.

I was thinking last night - is it worth buying a cheap car, something with low tax, to insure in my name and build up some NCB?

My thought was that if I had 3 years NCB on a policy, even though it is going to be a big hike in costs by adding the daughter as a named driver, the NCB might help save a few quid? She probably still won’t be the main driver, as the car would be used between myself, the wife and the daughter.

Whatever you do its still a bloody expensive job to insure em,not sure how it works with NCB as you suggest,when my son passed we put him on a old ford focus worth about 500 quid and the insurance was £2200,00:cursing:,then bought him a car of his own(little Peugeot)and it was £1500,00

When I was at tech one lad had a band new Citroen Saxo, PCP maybe? Anyway, the insurance was included. My daughter soon turns 17 as well and we've put aside a couple of grand for lessons etc. We'll start looking for a new PCP deal and see if they include insurance. Even if they dont is astonishing how much cheaper insurance is for a brand new car over one 3-7 years old. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

When I was at tech one lad had a band new Citroen Saxo, PCP maybe? Anyway, the insurance was included. My daughter soon turns 17 as well and we've put aside a couple of grand for lessons etc. We'll start looking for a new PCP deal and see if they include insurance. Even if they dont is astonishing how much cheaper insurance is for a brand new car over one 3-7 years old. 

That’s interesting. My lads going to be driving soon. A £2400 policy is going to cost him £200 a month and I’m pretty sure you can get a pcp on a small car for that. If Insurance is thrown in it’s a no brainier er 

54 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think I remember that deal, some bucks wrote the first one off in a few hours/days/weeks/months even, and blythly stated "I"ll have a red one this time, just for a change".

Kinda guessing if they wrote the 2nd one off, the deal was off as well.

That’s interesting. My lads going to be driving soon. A £2400 policy is going to cost him £200 a month and I’m pretty sure you can get a pcp on a small car for that. If Insurance is thrown in it’s a no brainier er 

I need to look into what deals are out there as well. (If any)

If none then it’s worth looking at what the insurance is for a £150 a month PCP car is over an older car.

2 hours ago, djbobbins said:

I've been through this 3 times over the last 30 years  and I found the cheapest in the long run ( up till about 25 years old) is to insure a cheap car in the drivers name  comprehensive, with a voluntary excess that is the same as the car's value. If it gets written off (none of my girls did) then you start again. Some say the premium comes down if a parent is named on the policy, with NFU it made no difference. The girls took out their own policies after the first year by which time they had full licences and a years NCB.

It fell apart for me with my granddaughter who abandoned the little pug 206 she had been given and proceeded into a string of hire purchase disasters with equally disastrous insurance costs.

My lad passed his test early this year so we bought him a car (seat mii) and he pays the insurance ,fully comp was around a grand with a black box fitted. 

Black box keeps an eye on his driving and he’s got into the habit now if being home by 10pm as it affects his driving score being out later. 

That was More than insurance btw?

• Like 2

I have done this twice I spoke to my local Nfu and insured a vehicle with them as named driver. I also had four of my own vehicles with them and the wife had her disco insured,

I insured it for them to learn in supervised, then for then to drive both my son and labourer learnt this way it was not cheap but far cheaper than any other option, however this was a few years back 

• Like 1