I want to become a tree surgeon

New guy99

Hi all I'm 25 years old and changing my career from precision engineering to arboriculture, I've got my cs30/31 coming up next week and I've also got the option to go on my cs38 at the beginning of September as my ambition is to become a climber, I would like some tips and advice from professionals on what's the best way to start out and the best route to go about becoming a tree surgeon, I'm based in Warwickshire ???

• Like 2

Find knowledgeable small tree company and learn everything you can. Yr back and arms wont be up to it at first but persevere and dont work for Glendales. K

Edited by Khriss
( or buy a Forst woodchipper ?)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, New guy99 said:

Thanks for your advice khriss, why not work for Glendale though? ??

...... Cos i said small knowledgeable tree company ? others on here can similarly enlighten you on Glendales  ? K

Edited by Khriss
( a Big ****************ing clueless tree based company with crap kit would be something else fella, and i avoid those like the plague ? )
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Call every single tree company in a radius of your home,volunteer a Saturday for free.Explain you want to get a taste of the industry.

You will meet the good and the bad with the above strategy but will learn infinitely more about the industry volunteering each Saturday for a couple of months than you would learn from years of courses.

Attitude is what sets folk apart in this game,it's not tickets nor is it necessarily ability.If the raw material and attitude is there,most bosses will invest in the individual. 

You can go a long way in this trade,it can take you all over the world and at the end of the day it's all up to you.

All the best.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Buy yr own saw too. It shows commitment. Climbing stuff more finicky fr new starter, borrow some kit n have a go.  K

Edited by Khriss
( any mid range Husqvarna or Dolmar or Echo will do you fr a few years in Arb )
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure I agree with Khriss , working at glendales could be a good start , they will put you through any further training without cost to your self , it will give you an in site in to production climbing but may give you an insite in too terrible tree work or you could try bartletts and pick up some real skills.. seriously though think long and hard if you don’t mind hard work and it will at times be mentally and physically challenging it’s a great job but don’t expect it to be a career that will last forever.

• Thanks 1