Best knot for temp joining 2 ropes??

drinksloe

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:
3 hours ago, jarborist said:
Dan Maynard - I struggled to remember the zeppelin as well , until I heard an alternative name the
'b & q ' knot. After the occasional  bit of frowning I haven't forgotten it since. Those who don't know it, you make a b with one end of rope and a q with the other , and then you are almost there.

I like that, good idea, thanks.

or 69

• 3 weeks later...

On 18/08/2020 at 20:18, husqydan said:

Reef Knot 

flemish bend

Carrick bend 

Carrick is a personal fav 

1966E062-8E66-4C73-A1F6-87D4332BA4ED.jpeg

Similar in principle to the Zeppelin Bend you can see the b and q in it. Unfortunately  it could collapse without tying the ends down. For the same reason it might be fairly easy to untie after loading.

20 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I saw a variant of the alpine butterfly called alpine bend the other day, looked sort of similar to the Carrick.

I don't think it's superior to the Zeppelin, bit trickier to tie so didn't learn it.

Is this just a butterfly with the two loose ends where the loop would be?

I can never remember how to tie a zeppelin but the alpine butterfly is such a useful knot that to use it to join two ropes  is easy. I think it is a strong knot too with about 75% rope strength retainedwhereas the bowline  is 60% and sheetbend 50% (mind I cannot see why there is this much difference between the latter two as functionally they seem the same).

Is this just a butterfly with the two loose ends where the loop would be?

I can never remember how to tie a zeppelin but the alpine butterfly is such a useful knot that to use it to join two ropes  is easy. I think it is a strong knot too with about 75% rope strength retainedwhereas the bowline  is 60% and sheetbend 50% (mind I cannot see why there is this much difference between the latter two as functionally they seem the same).
Essentially, yes if you tied an alpine butterfly and put a knife through the loop the two ropes would stay together by an alpine bend.

Obviously you would usually start with two ropes to make the bend so you have to tie it differently.

4 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Essentially, yes if you tied an alpine butterfly and put a knife through the loop the two ropes would stay together by an alpine bend.

Obviously you would usually start with two ropes to make the bend so you have to tie it differently.

As I cannot learn new tricks very well I would initially tie the two ends with a double overhand knot and then tie the butterfly with the knot in the loop. I either create  two opposing loops, overlap them and pull the middle up through the intersect or wrap three times round my hand and pull the middle loop out from under and then over the lot.

Edited by openspaceman

As I cannot learn new tricks very well I would initially tie the two ends with a double overhand knot and then tie the butterfly with the knot in the loop. I either create  two opposing loops, overlap them and pull the middle up through the intersect or wrap three times round my hand and pull the middle loop out from under and then over the lot.
The video I saw had a slightly complicated wrapping around the hand, there probably is a better one somewhere. I like the three wraps round the hand, pull the middle one out and back round for doing the loop as it seems simple but the bend had me foxed.