Looking to buy a Border Terrier

Mike Dempsey

On 31/07/2020 at 11:43, Tippin Alaybye said:

Collies do need lots of exercise and are not very friendly but they are intelligent. Labs are docile but stupid. Hence the cross. She trained herself, fetches everything I shoot, will greet with great affection any burglar and always shits in the long grass so I don’t need to pick it up 

E37FD923-A539-4350-A456-6F64F60C2B6F.thumb.jpeg.9ed86c5048a582f73b5aa11ccdd48e59.jpegdont agree about collies not being friendly,this old girl had a great temperament,not had a bad one

• Like 8

As Mr Monkeybusiness noted, Jacks are terrific dogs, though don't expect the same level of obedience as loyalty (you won't get it), they pretty much do whatever the hell they want. I'm a bit of a convert having had larger dogs and previously a GSD before I met my other half, and now love hers as much as I have my own dogs. The barking and yapping can drive you a bit cranky too but having your dog stationed not too far from your tools at night is one of the best alarms you'll get

• Like 3

E37FD923-A539-4350-A456-6F64F60C2B6F.thumb.jpeg.9ed86c5048a582f73b5aa11ccdd48e59.jpegdont agree about collies not being friendly,this old girl had a great temperament,not had a bad one

Our 2yr old welsh border collie is amazing, very clever, very loyal (to me, less so my partner) great off the lead and easy to train. Awful on lead as pulls no matter what we do, doesn’t like smaller dogs, will bowl them over and pin then to show who is in charge. ( got set on by two little black things when a pup, still see the owner and after many attempts she admits she has no control over them and puts them on a lead!) Runs with bigger dogs without issue, very very fast!
  • Like 2

Our best rescue JR, Pongo, moved in with the neighbours soon after we adopted him, being a dirty stop-out, when he returned from a hunting trip up the Moss, black-bogging and at about 04:00, they had a cat flap, so he simply let himself in and introduced himself.

I suspect he was also enticed and encouraged with treats.

Anyway some 15 years later I still see him out and about, as spry, fit and friendly as ever.

Pongo was SO friendly, including to cats !!, and did NOT bark, I used to joke that he could not be a JR, but he was. 

I still miss the wee bugger!

Edited by difflock

6 hours ago, Dbikeguy said:

Our 2yr old welsh border collie is amazing, very clever, very loyal (to me, less so my partner) great off the lead and easy to train. Awful on lead as pulls no matter what we do, doesn’t like smaller dogs, will bowl them over and pin then to show who is in charge. ( got set on by two little black things when a pup, still see the owner and after many attempts she admits she has no control over them and puts them on a lead!) Runs with bigger dogs without issue, very very fast!

Your right amazing dogs,the old girl in the picture was put to rest a mth ago now,best dog we ever had,just got another 9 wks old now

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We have two. 14 and 15. Still have a few years left in them. Up until they were about 12 they'd chase rabbits and birds all day long. More than happy being out all day but they can be inside without driving you mental. Good with kids but one of them doesn't much like other dogs, however all she'd do is bark and run away.

dogs.jpg

Edited by Burgess
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had a border terrier cross rescue dog when I was 15, probably spent 12 years with us so at least 16 when she passed on. Broke my Dads heart. She'd run all day even when she was 14 or 15. I'd take her on a 12 mile fell run and she was full of go when I got home and collapsed in a heap. Magic dogs.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...