Mini saws, Stihl or Echo?

josharb87

I have had both with modifications done by Spud and have to say its the Echo hands down. 

Have a Panter bar on it from Rob d and only run it on Aspen

The only thing better with the 150 then the echo is it was easy to tune. 

Elec saws are also great and I still love my 160 but when it finally gives up I will diff be going for the echo Elec saw. 

Saying that I can't see my 160 dying any time soon as not a lot to go wrong on it that you can't fix yourself. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

It’s the CS-2511 you looking for josh just go on the echo website..it’s around £495...?

380 on Skylands website! 

I’ll try for a local price match first from the same company I brought my chipper from, they price matched that against UK prices 

2 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

380 on Skylands website! 

I’ll try for a local price match first from the same company I brought my chipper from, they price matched that against UK prices 

Wow that’s good if that includes VAT...come to think of it it’s still a good price with.got mine from forest and Arb they also give a good price..I didn’t pay £495.

• Like 1

If you're thinking battery, see bigtreedons thread on the echo. Seems to me the echo 2500 and small 18v Makita are trying to be pruning saws, similar weight and cut speed to the 150/2511. The new Husky and Stihl battery toppers are trying to out cut the 540 or 201, too big and heavy for pruning imho.

I really like my battery Mak with 1/4" Panther from RobD but it's a second saw, it's not waterproof enough to use all day in the rain. How waterproof the 2500T is would be a good question.

Never used a 2511 but not unhappy with my 150 stock, if I want to cut faster I use a 201 instead.

Other thing we have shown is actual in use weights, the 2511 is lighter than the 150.

• Like 1

I'm not a climber, but I got a top handle 36v Makita, with a 12" bar. As a pruning saw, it's brilliant, in my opinion. It's not meant for burying the bar full depth and expecting to cut all day on one charge, but on a job I did trimming a fallen tree, it removed all the light stuff easily, with battery to spare. I don't think it's meant to be a main saw, but it's a damn fine extra. 

• Like 1

As I've said on another thread I was greatly impressed with the Echo 2500 put it through a 10/11 inch log and it didn't bog down in the slightest. Granted I'm not on the tree's anymore and selling them instead, but I seriously couldn't believe it's power for a small saw. Even managed to sell one to a member on here, I'm sure he'll report back 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

I'm not a climber, but I got a top handle 36v Makita, with a 12" bar. As a pruning saw, it's brilliant, in my opinion. It's not meant for burying the bar full depth and expecting to cut all day on one charge, but on a job I did trimming a fallen tree, it removed all the light stuff easily, with battery to spare. I don't think it's meant to be a main saw, but it's a damn fine extra. 

you'll go to prison for that.

• Haha 1