Mini saws, Stihl or Echo?

josharb87

7 hours ago, Old Mill Tree Care said:

Good research Dan. Thanks.
I seem to remember that the Stihl advertises 51 minutes run time while the Echo only 18 minutes.
That would be the decider for me, if that’s correct.

If you’re comparing to AP300. However AP300 is twice as heavy and nearly the same amount more expensive. And once you’ve done with the charge there is a lot time to spend looking at the charger. Or instead with 2500 you can just rotate two lighter batteries without interrupting your day and lift less weight for every cut.

Generally all battery units (mowers, trimmers etc.) declare “WOT” runtime which is very different in real life as it is simply related to the system efficiency at max RPM - mode at which a chainsaw literally never works.

• Like 1

Thing with battery life is, the saws only running when you are cutting. Reducing limbs the cuts take say 2, 3, 4 seconds so 18 minutes is hundreds and hundreds of cuts, I've reduced for example a reasonable size yew on less than a single battery with my Mak. No point at all carrying a bigger battery round for that.

Dismantling trees the cuts in timber take longer. Then you want more power to keep the cut speed up, coarser chain and longer bar, more run time - that is what I think the Stihl and Husky 540 are aimed at, which are not pruning saws imo.

I saw something suggesting Echo might bring out a bigger saw, which I guess would take two batteries. I find it a really good combination to be able to put the same batteries into a bigger saw for dismantles, I don't think you can have everything in one saw. Bigger/more power isn't always better, it's why I have both 150 and 201 in petrol saws.

• Like 3

If staying on track, its worth noting that i was looking for, and this thread is aimed at a small pruning saw to replace a 150T.

The 150T can happily hang on the harness for just a handfull of cuts on a prune, instead of persevering with a silky. its weight and size make it almost unnoticeable.

The Stihl looks massive, might be better suited for an all round climbing/felling battery saw. (speculation)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

If staying on track, its worth noting that i was looking for, and this thread is aimed at a small pruning saw to replace a 150T.

The 150T can happily hang on the harness for just a handfull of cuts on a prune, instead of persevering with a silky. its weight and size make it almost unnoticeable.

The Stihl looks massive, might be better suited for an all round climbing/felling battery saw. (speculation)

If I can I'll do some comparisons for you. I'll put them side by side so you can see the difference in size etc

Edited by gand
That's the stihl husky and echo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, josharb87 said:

It’s simple really Josh..just replace your 150 with the echo CS-2511..shame you can’t borrow one for the day.

• Like 2

Cheers @5 shires

Im leaning heavily towards the Echo, I'll ask my local dealer if he'll get in both petrol and battery for me to try (They let us take away and test Echo products before, pre purchase) 

That'd be very interesting @gand The 160T doesnt appeal to me, as i have a preconception its massive in comparison to the 151T and 2511, It'd be nice to be able to confirm my thought

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 10:32, josharb87 said:

Cheers @5 shires

Im leaning heavily towards the Echo, I'll ask my local dealer if he'll get in both petrol and battery for me to try (They let us take away and test Echo products before, pre purchase) 

That'd be very interesting @gand The 160T doesnt appeal to me, as i have a preconception its massive in comparison to the 151T and 2511, It'd be nice to be able to confirm my thought

i agree wit yew lad as i reckon the 161 is the fat girl compared to the 151 and 2511.

• 5 weeks later...

After 2 150s I’ve gone to Echo for the mini saw, and very happy with it! 

(I bottled out going electric, fear of the battery’s going kaput in the cold weather in winter) 

ordered with the smaller bar and chain, and first impressions are that it’s a far better saw than the 150, the 150 feels restricted, this doesn’t.

could do with a slightly shorter bar, not that it can’t handle this one, it’s just a bit overkill for pruning

only complaint is the on off switch is backwards! 

000E172B-B935-42DD-BFB5-23DCE8B2427D.thumb.jpeg.23a6450e0ce298792f4f96f1e19d2c25.jpegD0E7DB6D-B195-4E57-AF7C-F4C75EB0C2C5.thumb.jpeg.33addfbb504702f930126a143a071624.jpeg970C1DBF-4B6E-4298-ADD2-3B41026C35F1.thumb.jpeg.1b691023e18f17c1f3672a91c1706629.jpeg

• Like 1

Handled an echo in the dealers today by chance whilst I was waiting.  I don’t climb but was impressed with the weight and size. It was sporting a much smaller bar then yours and felt very well balanced.

if I did climb though I think I’d have been tempted by battery. Surely an ideal scenario for battery power. 

Edited by doobin

Cracking little saws Josh, I sold our 150s about 3 yrs ago and got a brace of 2511’s fantastic little things, I know what you mean about the on off switch, I wish they would make them spring loaded so always live like the 540t .

• Like 3