Elm trees that resist Dutch Elm Disease

Squaredy

47 minutes ago, Will C said:

That’s the best end of the island, the other end is full of bloody tourists ?

in fact the whole island if full of tourists and elms at the mo! 

hope you enjoyed our little rock. 

We did indeed enjoy your rock thank you.  Had some lovely Mackerel from just off the Needles, and some dinosaur bone fragments from Compton Bay.  Couldn't go into any of the museums but still a very nice break.

We did see lots of tourists, but apparently it was much less busy than normal.  Didn't spoil your rock however!

• Like 1

Is English elm seed not sterile ? elm will only grow from suckers so genetically it’s all the same so unlikely to develop resistance? , unlike ash that will grow from seed so genetically is all different and why some are resistant to chalara and others not as there is much wider genes in the species.

9 hours ago, Will C said:

I also think the hedgerow elms are getting bigger each time before they die off, it used to be 10ft ish they would die at, now it seems to be around 20 ft or so. I do wonder if some natural resistance is building, this is only a ponder and I have no evidence to prove it before anyone jumps on it as a load of carp.

Don't start with the fish thing again !

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Squaredy said:

By the way I am not totally confident about my ability to identify Elms and not mix them up with Hazel - so here are a couple of pictures:

I don't know if this applies to younger specimens or not, but if you stroke the underside of a leaf Elm is rough and whiskery while hazel is smooth. Digressing slightly, two of our offspring are in Scotland, one in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow. There are numerous wonderful large Elms in both cities, more so in Edinburgh I would say. Anyone know why? Did the carrier beetle not like to travel so far north?

2 hours ago, maybelateron said:

I don't know if this applies to younger specimens or not, but if you stroke the underside of a leaf Elm is rough and whiskery while hazel is smooth. Digressing slightly, two of our offspring are in Scotland, one in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow. There are numerous wonderful large Elms in both cities, more so in Edinburgh I would say. Anyone know why? Did the carrier beetle not like to travel so far north?

Ah good tip re identification. 

I think the Scottish Elms are just a bit behind the ones further south.  Many are felled each year as they succumb to the disease.  A few years back I received an invitation to bid for Elm saw logs being sold by Edinburgh Council, and it was 130 trees - and that was just a single season's worth of felling I believe. 

So I would say enjoy them while you can

42 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Ah good tip re identification. 

I think the Scottish Elms are just a bit behind the ones further south.  Many are felled each year as they succumb to the disease.  A few years back I received an invitation to bid for Elm saw logs being sold by Edinburgh Council, and it was 130 trees - and that was just a single season's worth of felling I believe. 

So I would say enjoy them while you can

Some are Wych Elms, but they succumbing as well. Plenty dying in Aberdeenshire/Morayshire and Highland.