Ryobi strimmer problems.

NeilT

Hi, I've got a 10 year old Ryobi petrol strimmer. Recently its been cutting out and bogging down. It tended to start up fine and run OK for a few minutes. I cleaned then changed the carb, filters and fuel lines , it ran a bit better briefly. It then started having problems starting and would cut out after 30 seconds. Ive checked the muffler and ran it without it, same problem. 

I've now found that the spark plug lead is loose at the boot bit. My son confessed he'd yanked it out by mistake and just shoved the cable into the hole. Ive tried to reconnect it but the cable is too short to maneuver. Should I keep trying to fix  it or cut my losses? I enjoy tinkering but don't want to throw good money after bad. 

Thanks Neil 

Edited by NeilT

The problem is that the lead wont pass through the boot properly. Its too short. I had trimmed the end to expose some wire. Now I cant get it round the 90 degree bend in the boot. I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll have to buy anew cable.