Fencing methods

woodwoozles

1 hour ago, SimpleSimon said:

Google "conservation handbooks" you can pay a small subscription and get access to a whole set online. Loads of good info in there with different designs and methods, etc. 

I use Gripple T-Clips for my wire ends, nice neat finish and you don't have to bang staples in hard and damage the wire, they also won't turn the posts when you pull up. 

I also use gripples with the contractor tool for tensioning up and joining, but you don't need the tool just for T-Clips. 

Yes I like the T-clips. Save their money in time and a neat finsh. for single stand wire I'd not bother (and pull to middle with one gripple) but for stock net I tie off one end with t clips, strain past the other and and staple off and then quickly tie off/pull t clips tight with the gun, tapping the wire with a hammer if needed to centralise it. Half the faff of pulling two lengths of stock net together and joining in the middle, and a pretty similar end result, correct to fencing principles. The only risky bit is when you cut the wire and it's only held on the staples- be careful not to knock it and loose tension.

Simple leaver type straining bar.
To be honest I found it annoying..perhaps wernt using it properly.

Did get used to leaning on it whilst putting staple in that worked kinda okay.

4 hours ago, doobin said:

Yes I like the T-clips. Save their money in time and a neat finsh. for single stand wire I'd not bother (and pull to middle with one gripple) but for stock net I tie off one end with t clips, strain past the other and and staple off and then quickly tie off/pull t clips tight with the gun, tapping the wire with a hammer if needed to centralise it. Half the faff of pulling two lengths of stock net together and joining in the middle, and a pretty similar end result, correct to fencing principles. The only risky bit is when you cut the wire and it's only held on the staples- be careful not to knock it and loose tension.

Yeah, good way really, although on long strains pulling netting with quite a few turners pulling together in the middle seems to get a nice even pull at either end as your only pulling half the netting at one go essentially.

Without proper tools/techniques, it’s hard to beat the just using a pull lever against the strainer post bar and staple off, Leave it just the staple holding the tension until your happy that the wires are all equal tension, and then tye the wire off around the strainer, so that if the staple slips it won’t go slack. 
Personally I like to pull my wires in the middle with monkey strainers and then tye together with a knot or gripple.

Was that the draper one!? If so utter junk! 
Felt I wasn't putting the wire in between the cam correctly to trap it. Neither could I get it to strain around the post the way I required. On the off chance it would work the way I wanted. Got ours from Mole country store.