Please help identify tree and advise

Hi Martina - from the pics it looks like a variegated poplar - probably

Populus candicans ‘ Aurora’ 

Unfortunately the construction of your wall and driveway are not conducive to the long term survival of this tree.  I fear that any remedial work to try and improve the situation will be costly, impractical and only lead to false hope.  As the tree is obviously important to you it may be possible to take cuttings and grow new specimens from these.  At least that way you’ll still have the same tree. I’m sorry that’s not what you want to hear. 
Best of luck with it all.  Jim

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jim. You have given me so much joy advising what the tree is. It makes more sense now when I see the white and pink on the leaves. We have built at my grandmothers place and this tree was here albeit it was completed covered by this mad palm tree. It is only now we are seeing the colours. I think we need to try our best to save it by gently removing the fill etc. I was thinking we could put a small wide dry stone kerb wall around it to protect it and fill within it and around the tree with compost. Unfortunately we can't do anything about the wall. Is there any advice you would give about maintaing where we can access under the wall and also about what we should do once the fill has been removed. We will save costs by digging this out manually and ensure we are gentle. Is there anything else we should do like spraying the leaves or removing dead leaves/branches?

That's a lovely idea about the clippings and we will defo do that.

Ideally you need to remove the fill down to the previous level and leave it as was.
Bark that grows above ground should remain above ground and will only rot and become dysfunctional if you recover it with compost.
I fear if you manage to do this with the idea of a drystone wall you will just create a bucket that collects water and still results in the same sad end or rotting bark and the tree sitting in a puddle.
Follow JSN’s advice and get some cuttings growing. Take plenty as only one in a few usually take, grow on in a pot until it’s a reasonable size and then plant somewhere more suitable.

• Thanks 1

Davidia involucrata

Just fell it its knackered imo

Plant a new one somewhere else

Edit its not this (a thought it was  hankycheif tree as that what was informed  it was when saw one in a  garden)

Candicans Aurora is right i think.

Edited by Stere
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Martinal said:

Thanks Jim. You have given me so much joy advising what the tree is. It makes more sense now when I see the white and pink on the leaves. We have built at my grandmothers place and this tree was here albeit it was completed covered by this mad palm tree. It is only now we are seeing the colours. I think we need to try our best to save it by gently removing the fill etc. I was thinking we could put a small wide dry stone kerb wall around it to protect it and fill within it and around the tree with compost. Unfortunately we can't do anything about the wall. Is there any advice you would give about maintaing where we can access under the wall and also about what we should do once the fill has been removed. We will save costs by digging this out manually and ensure we are gentle. Is there anything else we should do like spraying the leaves or removing dead leaves/branches?

That's a lovely idea about the clippings and we will defo do that.

Well if the wall can't go, then regrettably you'll have remove the tree I'm afraid. Over time if the tree survives it will push the wall over. Even creating a "well" around the base of tree by just removing the hardcore only will only put off the inevitable if the tree survives.

You probably don't want to hear it now, but before the wall & driveway went in, it would have better to have tried to dug up & relocated the tree. But that wouldn't have been an easy task & would not have guaranteed the trees survival in the long run. But right now stuck between the wall & driveway, it's doomed & the clock is already ticking down. Sorry mate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you all giving me your advice. I think I'm going to try and fix the situation as what's the worse that can happen and it really does mean a lot. Unfortunately I wasn't strong enough to protest at the time and should have sorted it then. In parallel I will take some clippings to see if they growand plan what to plant to replace it. Thanks so much everyone. I have another tree I'm worried about ? which I will post separately. This one though has not had anything done to it or its environment. Thanks again all.