Advice Needed: Pine Trees

JessTrees

Question

Hello Arbtalkers,

Could I please ask your advice? 

The neighbouring properties are threatening court action unless works are undertaken to crown lift these pines that are situated to the rear of our property. Their basis is due to a lack of light as well as heavy needle shed into their gardens from the low hanging branches that hang over their boundary.

My question is, will removal of the low hanging branches cause disease or kill the trees if the works are completed at this time of year? I would’ve preferred to hold off until Spring, but I know this is not going to be possible due to heavily increasing demands of the neighbouring homeowners.

Would be delighted to hear your thoughts as receiving mixed signals from contractors and ultimately the survival of the trees is most important. 

Thanks

6BE62B5E-297A-4E47-8062-0F9B34C7D79E.jpeg

10 answers to this question

Is there a right to light in the U.K?

After all, this isn't a wall of leylandii.

I do some local authority work here, my biggest clients in fact

They are often assailed by petitions demanding trees be removed or cut back to within property lines.

Almost always, our intervention is to thin, lift, clean off ivy, reduce very lightly offending branches and the overall effect of our 'toilettage' is enough to satisfy all but the most rabid of complainers.

In short, by just having some light work done that can show a demonstrable difference is often enough with having to go to extremes.

Best of luck

Stuart

3 hours ago, john meehan said:

You would do better taking the ivy off and getting rid of a bit of the understory, light lift of the trees maybe, wouldn’t do any harm to them though.

This would give you a bit of a breather. It would show your trying to help, give it a bit of time frame for it to die off,  And then  if you are taken to court  it would show willingness rather than stubbornness.

• Like 2

Hi Jess - I’m confused as to why all of your posts relate to blatant local authority / housing association trees?  Are you responsible for these trees in a professional capacity?  What’s the crack?  I don’t suppose it matters either way - it just piqued my curiosity.