Tree climbing project in garden - keep tree healthy

dvc

Question

As part of a lockdown project for my daughters I've turned a tree in our garden into a climbing wall. 

However I have a few concerns as I want to be sure I'm not harming the tree, and would really appreciate some help. 

The tree is a false acacia. I've put a top rope high up in the tree, and a series of climbing holds up the tree for my daughters to climb up. The holds are a secured with straps tightened with a ratchet.

I had 2 concerns or questions. 

1) What is the root structure of a tree like this normally like? Can I be confident that I'm not going to affect the stability of the tree. I don't want to increase any risk of it toppling over. 

2) I don't want to strangle the tree which I've read about. How do I prevent that? 

If they're tightened, do I need to loosen them occasionally? if so how often? Daily? Monthly? 

If something is tightened round the tree, how quickly might it affect transport of nutrients etc? They don't seem to cut into the tree, but what would you suggest I do to ensure the tree isn't damaged? Or am I being overcautious and it should be fine?

IMG_20200720_194242.jpg

IMG_20200720_194230.jpg

IMG_20200720_194220.jpg

IMG_20200720_194215.jpg

IMG_20200720_194206.jpg

Edited by dvc
photos didn't work, so uploaded instead.
  • Like 3

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

Get tree assessed every few years by certified tree  inspector, as yr stomping around root plate that leads to soil compaction, so some woodchip around tree, depth of 2 to 3 inch. But it looks great fun  ? K

ah thanks. I hadn't heard of a certified tree inspector. that sounds like the person I need.  

So are you suggesting I can leave the straps done up for 2 years?!

2 hours ago, dvc said:

ah thanks. I hadn't heard of a certified tree inspector. that sounds like the person I need.  

So are you suggesting I can leave the straps done up for 2 years?!

I would not go further on advice until I saw the tree in question ( being a certified tree inspector  ;) ) K

I seem to see washing lines tied to trees appearing to cut deep into the stem, and occasionally the tree dies.

If you move the straps every couple of years I'm sure it will be fine - I was thinking about GoApe, they put steel wires around the trees but move them periodically and doesn't seem to do lasting harm.

54 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Unlikely the straps are going to do much harm within 2 years. I'd be more concerned about my kid getting a nice Robinia thorn stuck in their butt cheek!!

Indeed!

Worth getting it checked for dead wood as they are brittle enough anyway. Not that the last bit needs to be of concern but it is worth getting an inspection carried out.