ST6 More Issues

Thesnarlingbadger

10 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

It depends on what engine stock chipper manufactures are / were carrying. If you had physical engine stock you could continue to build up until mid this year. But now with the virus that has been extended for 12 more months. But the extension is only any good if you already have engines sat in the factory. GreenMech have plenty of 45hp turbo diesel lumps left (they bought a lot of engines) so you can buy the Evo 165 with the bigger 45hp lump or the Arborist 200 with the same engine.

Forst do not buy their engines directly from Kubota whereas GreenMech and TimberWolf do. Forst buy from Mitchell, an engine dealer,  calling on engines when they need them. They are unable to buy in any more tier 3a engine stock to continue building chippers with "old school" engines. So their options are now all tier5. 25hp diesel, petrol or over 25hp with clean burn treatment.

From what I have read recently Forst are looking to go to Doosan engines? 

TimberWolf are out of diesel engine stock I understand, Ben Burgess put a massive order into TimberWolf and bought all their TW230 34hp machines!! Other TW dealers are now trying to buy from them...

Tonnage per hour is nothing to get hung up on. It is unregulated testing and obviously massively depends on wetness of material. 

OK makes sense thanks - when i called into Forst to pick up some bits a few months back they had a huge stack of engines there- apparently they were mostly 45hp, but i guess they must have run out now. they do seem to shift a lot of machines so it wouldn't be surprising. 

Doosan sounds interesting - not heard of it in a chipper before but there is a lot of it in construction machinery so can't be too bad. think i would rather that than an 8" petrol. i'll try and get a demo of one and let you all know what i think.

just can't see a 24hp Timber wolf being much cop when i'm used to 45hp in my st8's

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robinson said:

Doosan sounds interesting - not heard of it in a chipper before but there is a lot of it in construction machinery so can't be too bad.

Same, cant say I know much about the engines specifically or why they're choosing Tier5 Doosan over Tier5 Kubota. I know a Tier5 45hp 8" road tow chipper will be in the region of 5k more at retail.

The rail boys are just going to have to accept 8" tracked chippers are going up. I can't see how they'll carry large quantities of petrol to the worksite each day. Or whether NW will allow such activity.

The problem I see coming with tier5 chippers running DPF is that they'll need to be run flat out all of the time to run hot enough to work correctly. Most road tow chippers will only be revved when the work arrives by the groundie, or a drag, chip, stop repeat method. Then there is DPF regenerations sat on / in the middle of wood chip!!

11 hours ago, Andymacp said:

Aye nae bad, boys are over your neck of the woods in Glass all week.

Damm outer race was stuck for ages.

My turn today, Ifor decided to shed a brake lining on the dualler at Inverurie locking wheel on, in a cloud of smoke. Had to strip brakes out at side of road and carry on, Officer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

Same, cant say I know much about the engines specifically or why they're choosing Tier5 Doosan over Tier5 Kubota. I know a Tier5 45hp 8" road tow chipper will be in the region of 5k more at retail.

The rail boys are just going to have to accept 8" tracked chippers are going up. I can't see how they'll carry large quantities of petrol to the worksite each day. Or whether NW will allow such activity.

The problem I see coming with tier5 chippers running DPF is that they'll need to be run flat out all of the time to run hot enough to work correctly. Most road tow chippers will only be revved when the work arrives by the groundie, or a drag, chip, stop repeat method. Then there is DPF regenerations sat on / in the middle of wood chip!!

But, as they are not subject to an mot or emissions tests, the dpf can be removed by the end user!

10 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

It depends on what engine stock chipper manufactures are / were carrying. If you had physical engine stock you could continue to build up until mid this year. But now with the virus that has been extended for 12 more months. But the extension is only any good if you already have engines sat in the factory. GreenMech have plenty of 45hp turbo diesel lumps left (they bought a lot of engines) so you can buy the Evo 165 with the bigger 45hp lump or the Arborist 200 with the same engine.

Forst do not buy their engines directly from Kubota whereas GreenMech and TimberWolf do. Forst buy from Mitchell, an engine dealer,  calling on engines when they need them. They are unable to buy in any more tier 3a engine stock to continue building chippers with "old school" engines. So their options are now all tier5. 25hp diesel, petrol or over 25hp with clean burn treatment.

From what I have read recently Forst are looking to go to Doosan engines? 

TimberWolf are out of diesel engine stock I understand, Ben Burgess put a massive order into TimberWolf and bought all their TW230 34hp machines!! Other TW dealers are now trying to buy from them...

Tonnage per hour is nothing to get hung up on. It is unregulated testing and obviously massively depends on wetness of material. 

Out of interest what would have happen to the 45hp engines if they didn't get used before the deadline. 

22 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

The rail boys are just going to have to accept 8" tracked chippers are going up. I can't see how they'll carry large quantities of petrol to the worksite each day. 

Electric chippers on electrified lines. I can't think why nobody just asked me before.

22 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

The rail boys are just going to have to accept 8" tracked chippers are going up. I can't see how they'll carry large quantities of petrol to the worksite each day. Or just modify their  'work pattern'.......   ?

..... Fixed right away   ?  K

On 06/08/2020 at 20:22, treevolution said:

Out of interest what would have happen to the 45hp engines if they didn't get used before the deadline. 

If you got spare and the deadline approaches, you  an build the chassis, register the serial number, and carry on to fulfil the build. To have that level of stock will need decent cash reserves and space to store the part completed units. I think that we are in that position. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2