ST6 More Issues

Thesnarlingbadger

1 hour ago, Robinson said:

I'm struggling to get my head around this - Forst say they are going DPF diesel so i look at Timberwolf and they don't even sell a diesel 8" any more! Their 6" which is the 230 has gone from 35hp to 24hp but their marketing says 'more power'! The stats on their website says that the 24hp produces 4 tonne per hour when the 35hp did 5 tonnes per hour so it must be a lot slower!

wish i'd got another of the 45hp a few months back now :(

This is what infuriates me . It takes us longer now as we have less horsepower, so we burn more fuel than we would otherwise have done!

Its like the eec telling us our kettles were too powerful, so down rate them, it takes,longer to boil! 

Interesting I  brought a new kubota 40hp tractor this year, no dpf, and no sign of one ever being fitted according to the dealer, so why in chippers?

Edited by dig-dug-dan

1 hour ago, Robinson said:

I'm struggling to get my head around this - Forst say they are going DPF diesel so i look at Timberwolf and they don't even sell a diesel 8" any more! Their 6" which is the 230 has gone from 35hp to 24hp but their marketing says 'more power'! The stats on their website says that the 24hp produces 4 tonne per hour when the 35hp did 5 tonnes per hour so it must be a lot slower!

There are still some good buys out there, I have just picked up a 300hr old TW diesel tow chipper. Greenplant maintained and serviced from new, came into them as a partex so I grabbed it. They all look the same after my guys have used them for a week.

Bob

• Like 3

I run a ST8 and a Jensen, both same age 2016, both same hours 800ish. The Forst has had every single component on it replaced due to being faulty or breaking down. Re-spray, full hydraulic system, wheel bearings,hubs,brake system, Shute, electrics, blades cracked,all towing components. Ignition,grease system,all bearings,pumps.
There service to us had been shocking, cause were based in Scotland and they have no dealer near us they don’t care, can wait weeks for a part.

The Jensen - nothing.

Out of interest, all problems aside, which machine do you rate as the best just based on chipping performance?

11 minutes ago, Essex said:

Out of interest, all problems aside, which machine do you rate as the best just based on chipping performance?

Chipping performance goes hand in hand with reliability,it’s no good a machine chipping tons per hour if it keep breaking down it’s false economy...so my vote will be Greenmech who have nailed reliability with through put. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Andymacp said:

Jensen all day long.

Spent today replacing the wheel hub bearings on the forst that took over a week to get to me. More down time

Was good weather as well today Andy.

Jensen all day long.

Spent today replacing the wheel hub bearings on the forst that took over a week to get to me. More down time

I’ve used forst chippers in the passed but never owned one. They sound like a nightmare from what everyone on here has said.
I’ve got a Jensen myself. It’s been faultless apart from when it ate a pair of fencing pliers. Changed the blades and anvil and carried on using it. I find them well built. I’d buy another one when the time comes
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Robinson said:

It depends on what engine stock chipper manufactures are / were carrying. If you had physical engine stock you could continue to build up until mid this year. But now with the virus that has been extended for 12 more months. But the extension is only any good if you already have engines sat in the factory. GreenMech have plenty of 45hp turbo diesel lumps left (they bought a lot of engines) so you can buy the Evo 165 with the bigger 45hp lump or the Arborist 200 with the same engine.

Forst do not buy their engines directly from Kubota whereas GreenMech and TimberWolf do. Forst buy from Mitchell, an engine dealer,  calling on engines when they need them. They are unable to buy in any more tier 3a engine stock to continue building chippers with "old school" engines. So their options are now all tier5. 25hp diesel, petrol or over 25hp with clean burn treatment.

From what I have read recently Forst are looking to go to Doosan engines? 

TimberWolf are out of diesel engine stock I understand, Ben Burgess put a massive order into TimberWolf and bought all their TW230 34hp machines!! Other TW dealers are now trying to buy from them...

Tonnage per hour is nothing to get hung up on. It is unregulated testing and obviously massively depends on wetness of material. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Essex said:

I’ve used forst chippers in the passed but never owned one. They sound like a nightmare from what everyone on here has said.
I’ve got a Jensen myself. It’s been faultless apart from when it ate a pair of fencing pliers. Changed the blades and anvil and carried on using it. I find them well built. I’d buy another one when the time comes

I've got 3 Forst ST8's already and they are best 8" in my opinion hands down. had Jensen previously and must say i had more problems with jensen than i have Forst. Jensen and Forst both came through Redwoods which are pretty good tbf with parts and aftercare. Just wish i had bought another of the older ST8's with the old 45hp. good chippers

• Like 1