ST6 More Issues

Thesnarlingbadger

Oh dear, a doosan? Well that's forst of the list for future then.
It cant be to do with emissions, kubota are the world leader of plant engines, look at the tractors the sell in the country alone, they would have to comply

Kubota have no diesel that size at the moment that will be future proof as such. When I looked at the Timberwolf 280 they are sending out the last of the diesel Kubota , Greenplant then told me Timberwolf will be petrol for their 8 inch chipper going forward. They buy / sell enough of them so I would take that as accurate

We’re all doooooomed .... comes to mind.

We still have 45hp turbo diesel engines for use and will use them while we can. We are also looking at DPF units for tier 5 usage but the cost so much more for no perceivable gain. Other than environmental,  which we should accept as a plus!

We will fit that 45hp into the 165 for massive power in a 'small chipper while we can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lux said:

Kubota have no diesel that size at the moment that will be future proof as such. When I looked at the Timberwolf 280 they are sending out the last of the diesel Kubota , Greenplant then told me Timberwolf will be petrol for their 8 inch chipper going forward. They buy / sell enough of them so I would take that as accurate

We’re all doooooomed .... comes to mind.

Doesn't make sense. kubota tractors all go up to about 138hp, they have to comply surely? 

• Like 1

The basis is, some current engines cannot be detuned to run clean - the Kubora 1505 run in previous TW/Forst blah blah blah cannot be ran at 35hp any more, it has to be 25hp. To get 45, fit a turbo, but it runs dirty, and cannot be reasonably detuned to 35. S9 it gets binned

To make them run clean, they have to be precision instruments and have help, all of which increases cost to the pocket to make a benefit to our lives and those come after us.

Some people will accept the changes to the costs and power and adjust their own pricing to suit and others will run the cheaper petrol engines but have to accept that they run differently. 

These changes have been forced on us all because off the evidence of climate change and the need for those that are able, to accept the change.

16 minutes ago, PeteB said:

The basis is, some current engines cannot be detuned to run clean - the Kubora 1505 run in previous TW/Forst blah blah blah cannot be ran at 35hp any more, it has to be 25hp. To get 45, fit a turbo, but it runs dirty, and cannot be reasonably detuned to 35. S9 it gets binned

To make them run clean, they have to be precision instruments and have help, all of which increases cost to the pocket to make a benefit to our lives and those come after us.

Some people will accept the changes to the costs and power and adjust their own pricing to suit and others will run the cheaper petrol engines but have to accept that they run differently. 

These changes have been forced on us all because off the evidence of climate change and the need for those that are able, to accept the change.

Who exactly will know if it's not running clean, are there pollution police? I.e. if i asked you to fit a 1505 engine from new, no questions asked, what's stopping you?

12 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I was with you up to that point @Pete B; The issue with diesels regulations is to do with particulates and their inhalation. Not only the micro bits of sooty  hydrocarbons but also particulates which form when nitrogen oxides react with other chemicals in the atmosphere (sulphur compounds I think) to precipitate more particulates which can be inhaled.

The issue of climate change from burning fossil fuels is the release of CO2 into the atmosphere which petrol engines do as well as diesel engines and just about any other form of combustion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Who exactly will know if it's not running clean, are there pollution police? I.e. if i asked you to fit a 1505 engine from new, no questions asked, what's stopping you?

It is a question that I have asked and what are the penalties?  Then look at the recent things with VW and I think Mercedes-Benz and their testing and published figures! I think if a manufacturer committed these offences, they would loose so much credibility that they might struggle in business going forwards etc.

One may say, 'it didn't leave the factory like that', and get away with it. But engine suppliers might take a dim view and refuse to supply further units as it'd  drag them into the argument and they are risk averse!

I too think that some petrol engines are less good at emissions and it may be that in time, they too have a new set of regs to adhere to with convertors and stuff in the exhaust  system. Who knows....

8 hours ago, Khriss said:

@aspenarb  its traditional for car and motor bike manufactures to use 'customer testing' to 'iron out'   faults  'itll get sorted by the dealer' the usual refrain. 

Sadly most blokes putting a couple years profit into a chipper that should be an earner not a money hole on accounts. Am glad i havent to make such choice.  K

I hear you Khriss and if it was an import I wouldn't give it a second look. Bottom line is its British and if some of the constructive criticism is taken on board the breed will improve.

Bob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

I hear you Khriss and if it was an import I wouldn't give it a second look. Bottom line is its British and if some of the constructive criticism is taken on board the breed will improve.

Bob

Caveat emptor. Its a hard choice. I run a Series II from 1966 so dont listen to my engineering choices  ? K

Edited by Khriss
Can't even drive it into London now !
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

can ya tell us more or is it under wraps till testing is over and it enters mainstream dealer outlets?