ST6 More Issues

Thesnarlingbadger

On 24/07/2020 at 17:47, butters said:

The blade design is no different to Jensen. The blades are exactly the same. Considering Jensen have been running the same design since I was probably born. It can’t be that bad of design.

Thing is people don’t realise is a Jensen/forst flywheel is heavy compared to the others and don’t use outside draft fins to get the throw. Plus then the blades are huge compared to the timberwolfs and GreenMech. So in theory the blade only needs to hit something it shouldn’t and can cause a lot of damage.

This is something I know as I had a Jensen throw it’s blade and cost me 2.5k to get it right.

well a local outfit i know of fitted Jensen Blades to a Forst and it went bang in a big way,  when this error was realised and admitted the repair bill was circa 5k.

• Sad 1

Pleased to say that the st8 we run is an absolute beast, so far (year ish) no major issues. Replaced fuel filters when it started cutting out *take note OP... quick job and issue solved.

Currently using a tracked timberwolf 280 for a riverside contract and it has everybody frustrated as hell.

We are all aware of timberwolf issues/foibles as well as the other makes.

Forst for me is built like a tank and as the company  matures and the machines are finessed then they will most likely be one of or maybe the brand leader....

Like with every machine , good maintenance and regular services. Any chipper is a big investment,  look after it and it will look after you.

Bing! (Yes, Forst fanboy)

• Like 1

I run a ST8 and a Jensen, both same age 2016, both same hours 800ish. The Forst has had every single component on it replaced due to being faulty or breaking down. Re-spray, full hydraulic system, wheel bearings,hubs,brake system, Shute, electrics, blades cracked,all towing components. Ignition,grease system,all bearings,pumps.
There service to us had been shocking, cause were based in Scotland and they have no dealer near us they don’t care, can wait weeks for a part.

The Jensen - nothing.

• Like 2

Well I’m not sure if I am glad I read through this post or not ....
I was just getting geared up to purchase a TR8 from forst. Had a demo day with one and thought it was decent. But in fairness turning up with any brand new 8 inch chipper whatever flavour it is should leave any one impressed I suppose.
One big factor was the trade in value of my old machine was way higher with Först. They must take a knock on that part of the deal to hook you in.

One thing is that there are now no Kubota engined units available and the TR8 will come with a Doosan 55 Hp diesel. Emissions regs i gather. Anyway the Doosan is a dpf engine and I’m not sure about the regeneration process where temperatures will be very high in what could be a dusty machine with Woodchip in nooks and crannies. Is there a potential fire risk in operating conditions as opposed to a shiny clean demo machine doing a small amount of chipping.

And there I was thinking I had made my mind up .....

Of note the rep did acknowledge and accept issues with early machines and went through how issues were now ironed out with the latest machine. In fairness there wasn’t any dodging of faults or shifting blame.

• Like 2

I was just getting geared up to purchase a TR8 from forst. Had a demo day with one and thought it was decent. But in fairness turning up with any brand new 8 inch chipper whatever flavour it is should leave any one impressed I suppose.
One big factor was the trade in value of my old machine was way higher with Först. They must take a knock on that part of the deal to hook you in.

One thing is that there are now no Kubota engined units available and the TR8 will come with a Doosan 55 Hp diesel. Emissions regs i gather. Anyway the Doosan is a dpf engine and I’m not sure about the regeneration process where temperatures will be very high in what could be a dusty machine with Woodchip in nooks and crannies. Is there a potential fire risk in operating conditions as opposed to a shiny clean demo machine doing a small amount of chipping.

Of note the rep did acknowledge and accept issues with early machines and went through how issues were now ironed out with the latest machine. In fairness there wasn’t any dodging of faults or shifting blame.

They are right almost all issues are now sorted. Will still get the odd few but that’s just machinery. Mines a tr6p year old and no issues other than a engine issue but that was sorted quickly.

Forst are a good bunch of guys they will admit they have/had problems and won’t ever run down any other manufacturers. There service is really good. I can order parts at 4pm and they will still be at my doorstep the next day.

On 24/07/2020 at 18:36, Stubby said:

I heard that when Forst first came out they took all the good bits from a Jensen and then improved all the bad bits . . Maybe they went too far Re the bades

The good news Stubby is they are all ears and possibly prepared to make changes, I have always liked the non plastic super tough look of the Forst and would be a buyer if a few issues were ironed out. Looks like I have been given a chance to say my piece, it may mean putting my money where my mouth is and being the guineapig but I think it will be worth it.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
because bob is an illiterate twat
  • Like 3

@aspenarb  its traditional for car and motor bike manufactures to use 'customer testing' to 'iron out'   faults  'itll get sorted by the dealer' the usual refrain. 

Sadly most blokes putting a couple years profit into a chipper that should be an earner not a money hole on accounts. Am glad i havent to make such choice.  K

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lux said:

Oh dear, a doosan? Well that's forst of the list for future then.

It cant be to do with emissions, kubota are the world leader of plant engines, look at the tractors the sell in the country alone, they would have to comply