coppicer

Cleaning carb on smoking Stihl

Well, have put back carb, now just fitting the baffle on the filter base, then I will do the nuts that hold the carb, and the screws that hold the filter base in place (I have sourced a couple to replace those that were mysteriously missing).

As you can see, I haven't put the clutch back yet. I have a new sprocket, but it looks straightforward. The thing that worries me a bit is the nut, which tightens anti-clockwise. How should I tackle this? Should I try to wedge something in the starter thingummyjig on the other side? (Have put back the rewind starter but not screwed it down, so could whip it off if needed.) Or can I just give it a blast with the impact driver with the power dialled down a bit?

1137690861_20200731_182205-25.thumb.jpg.3aabfcbc8e3e13df6a3a4e8752c06b49.jpg1569865989_20200731_182154-25.thumb.jpg.51160b10f9b55ff8e4d0fbb905701afa.jpg

1 hour ago, coppicer said:

Well, have put back carb, now just fitting the baffle on the filter base, then I will do the nuts that hold the carb, and the screws that hold the filter base in place (I have sourced a couple to replace those that were mysteriously missing).

As you can see, I haven't put the clutch back yet. I have a new sprocket, but it looks straightforward. The thing that worries me a bit is the nut, which tightens anti-clockwise. How should I tackle this? Should I try to wedge something in the starter thingummyjig on the other side? (Have put back the rewind starter but not screwed it down, so could whip it off if needed.) Or can I just give it a blast with the impact driver with the power dialled down a bit?

1137690861_20200731_182205-25.thumb.jpg.3aabfcbc8e3e13df6a3a4e8752c06b49.jpg1569865989_20200731_182154-25.thumb.jpg.51160b10f9b55ff8e4d0fbb905701afa.jpg

I think standard procedure is the do it up as tight as you can , start the saw , rev it and snap the brake on and it will be tight .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

Forgot to take a photo of this fella when taking it apart. Got a flange. That's odd.🤔

EDIT: Got it - front upper screw for rewind starter cover.

1315653589_20200731_194736-25.thumb.jpg.44176278d786547be4641828a28c4d46.jpg

Edited by coppicer

Blimey. Once more recognisable as a chainsaw. Any tips for starting it up? Bit of oil, bit of fuel, not bother with bar and chain, just see if it runs...?

1029539502_20200731_201206-25.thumb.jpg.09f5c628e31a4abacfb73a4a49cc39b0.jpg

On 25/07/2020 at 19:11, spudulike said:

No, it is the one where the crew are told not to shoot at the aliens as they have acid blood and one of the bods says "what are we supposed to use, harsh language"!

STEP AWAY FROM THAT WELCH PLUG!!!!!!! You don't have the tool for it:scared1:

STEP AWAY FROM THAT WELCH PLUG!!!!!!! you" biatch " come on lets be accurate...sigourney rocks 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hooray! Sort of. I gave it some fuel and oil. The saw fires as normal on choke, I flip it to normal, then it catches, runs for a second or two, then dies. Sometimes I can get it to rev for a few seconds. I'm assuming that this is a carburation issue? I dialled the three carb screws all the way in and out to what I thought was default, but maybe I got it wrong.

Second issue: ring-a-ding-ding from the washer on the end of the crank stub in the picture below. It's held on by an e-clip, and there seems to be a lot of play, so it tinkles on over-run. I can't seem to find a close-up picture in the documentation as to which side should face out, so I'm thinking that maybe I have it the wrong way.

Can anybody advise on either of these? Thanks.

1031221304_20200801_104227-25.thumb.jpg.cf3dd98e8c88f941a10f0c4dfdec7fb0.jpg

Second issue - doesn't sound like an issue.  Once you have a bar/chain on there,  sprocket will slow down much quicker. Side cover will reduce sounds too.

First issue,  yes carb. 

Starting on choke sucks fuel into the carb.

The brief running off choke is using up the fuel that's now in the carb/engine.

Either the mixture is a bit Iean - so as the excess fuel is used up the carb is not supplying enough fuel.

Or the fuel pump in the carb isnt working, so the carb (and engine run out of fuel). Off choke the carb cant suck fuel up, so you need the pump...

First punt, back the low speed screw out an eigth turn, try it.  ...then try another eigth turn and try it.

If no improvement your probably into pump issues.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, not had any luck with that so far, but I will try resetting all the screws. I replaced the pump diaphragm a few days ago and I don't think it's possible to put it back together incorrectly if you're following the manual, but maybe I did something wrong.

On the positive side, bar oil is flowing through the saw, which is good - I was concerned that the oilways were blocked.

You say three screws. Don't forget one of those is the tick over screw, so won't have a factory setting as such. You will probably need to be screwing that in a bit to get it to keep running.