Cleaning carb on smoking Stihl

coppicer

22 hours ago, spudulike said:

I made my own punch, needed a little fettling but it works for me. Most of the carbs that need a new plug are C1Qs so use the same punch.

They are an absolute sod to get punched in and sealed 100%, I have seen all sorts of attempts including a bit of what looked like a coke can - best leave it in place especially with the red seal as it is the most reliable type of seal.

Spud , what do you seal the plug in with. I have used the wife's nail varnish before, still going strong 3 yrs later in Stihl FS450.

I believe that Zama use a UV cure on their latest carbs. I have tried many substances, none using king size Rizlas I hasten to add!!! Cyanoacrylate, nail varnish and the rest all get degraded by petrol. Seal All is about the only stuff that doesn't fall out. I use any sealant in very sparse quantities so it doesn't fall out and cause later issues.

The carb manufacturers recommend not using sealant at all since the increased use of Ethanol.........

A bit of a holy grail is this subject! 

Oh dear, was alcohol involved in this? Once got a Stihl 039 in bits from a customer on the IOM who quaffed a bottle of burgundy, took his saw apart and woke up the next day with total loss of confidence.

I rebuilt it but had two strange round bits of plastic left, I asked the customer what the hell are they and he said thank the f#£k for that, I also was working on my HiLux that night and have been looking for them everywhere!! 

What a life!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, have put back carb, now just fitting the baffle on the filter base, then I will do the nuts that hold the carb, and the screws that hold the filter base in place (I have sourced a couple to replace those that were mysteriously missing).

As you can see, I haven't put the clutch back yet. I have a new sprocket, but it looks straightforward. The thing that worries me a bit is the nut, which tightens anti-clockwise. How should I tackle this? Should I try to wedge something in the starter thingummyjig on the other side? (Have put back the rewind starter but not screwed it down, so could whip it off if needed.) Or can I just give it a blast with the impact driver with the power dialled down a bit?

1137690861_20200731_182205-25.thumb.jpg.3aabfcbc8e3e13df6a3a4e8752c06b49.jpg1569865989_20200731_182154-25.thumb.jpg.51160b10f9b55ff8e4d0fbb905701afa.jpg

1 hour ago, coppicer said:

Well, have put back carb, now just fitting the baffle on the filter base, then I will do the nuts that hold the carb, and the screws that hold the filter base in place (I have sourced a couple to replace those that were mysteriously missing).

As you can see, I haven't put the clutch back yet. I have a new sprocket, but it looks straightforward. The thing that worries me a bit is the nut, which tightens anti-clockwise. How should I tackle this? Should I try to wedge something in the starter thingummyjig on the other side? (Have put back the rewind starter but not screwed it down, so could whip it off if needed.) Or can I just give it a blast with the impact driver with the power dialled down a bit?

1137690861_20200731_182205-25.thumb.jpg.3aabfcbc8e3e13df6a3a4e8752c06b49.jpg1569865989_20200731_182154-25.thumb.jpg.51160b10f9b55ff8e4d0fbb905701afa.jpg

I think standard procedure is the do it up as tight as you can , start the saw , rev it and snap the brake on and it will be tight .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2