Stihl MS880 Generally

chainsawjoe

Hello,

I recently bought a nearly new MS880, looks brand new.

Just wondering if anyone can comment as I’ve never owned one before, and don’t want to get laid up with a massive bill.

It’s a ball ache to start, but once going, ticks over lovely and the throttle response is good. But, on full throttle, are these saws supposed to “sing” like every other smaller saw i own. Or do they lack that, and stay a little shy of what i would expect to be top end RPM. It just sounds slightly restricted, but then that’s may be how it is?

Any input welcome, thanks in advance,

Joe

30 minutes ago, chainsawjoe said:

Hello,

I recently bought a nearly new MS880, looks brand new.

Just wondering if anyone can comment as I’ve never owned one before, and don’t want to get laid up with a massive bill.

It’s a ball ache to start, but once going, ticks over lovely and the throttle response is good. But, on full throttle, are these saws supposed to “sing” like every other smaller saw i own. Or do they lack that, and stay a little shy of what i would expect to be top end RPM. It just sounds slightly restricted, but then that’s may be how it is?

Any input welcome, thanks in advance,

Joe

Have you used the Decompression button? makes life somewhat easier on the testicles!

Never going to Rev/ring like a smaller saw as bigger piston so more rotating mass but lots more torque/grunt which is what there about where as small engines are all about revs ie more lively

Yes using the decompression valve, although it doesn’t stay down all the time and catches you out.

I thought it would be the case that it doesn’t “sing” as a little saw does, like you say much bigger engine. By hell its got some power though, just ringed a 3ft diameter sycamore up faster then it took me to start the damn thing!!

Thanks for the reply’s.

• Like 1

I never bother with the decompressor, you can get a feel for when they have just gone over tdc. Get it to that point and go for it, if you go a bit girlie it will tear your fingers off but if you commit they just start.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The saw 880 is tuned to either 12k or 12.5k , and that  Governed  by the coil. 
just pull the spark plug and that will tell you if it’s rich, or lean .. if lean I’d sort it’s find out why, but if ok , ie rich /normal then clean it pop it back in and runn it some more then check the colour..edit on your mix.?

if your used to running a 360 or smaller, then as others say you got some learning to do.

i could go into changing the coil to a 360 unlimited, but that’s porting stuff talk ????

Edited by Wonky
Edit

The MS880/088 will thump like a goodun when revved flat out with no load, it should clear up under load in the cut - just check that the plug is a dark tan to light tan around the central electrode, white is bad and graphite grey is terminal.

The MS880 revs to 11000 or 11500rpm depending on carb, the 088 revs to 12000 and the ones I have ported have picked up faster and been more livelier.

The MS880 won't sound like a small saw, they rev slower and produce a lot of low down grunt.

If it isn't starting well, try richening up the L screw, this may help and expect to increase the idle speed a little as a side effect of the carb adjustment.

• Like 2