Face coverings

gary112

9 hours ago, Khriss said:

( as IF yr 20m down, on pressured air, lung tissue ruptures will have you belching blood into yr Reg before yr buddy gets you surfaced )

Kriss I’ve dived commercially in the UK N sea and worldwide for 30 years bud, qualified IMCA supervisor and Diver Medic tech. The dramatic ott symptoms you describe are quite frankly wrong and typical dramatisation of anything to do with this virus, what you describe would in fact at best be a  symptom of pulmonary barotrauma or AGE ( Arterial Gas Embolism) and would follow an uncontrolled or rapid ascent not just sitting at 3ATA. Diving doctors diagnosis of any DCI is a complex and variable affair based upon many factors including dive profile ie depth and time and exertion etc. I’m well aware of Dr Phil Brysons latest DEMAC recommendation and all divers heading offshore are now obliged to carry out the Chester step test pre joining a vessel to ascertain any potential loss of performance due to asymptotic Covid issues. The lung scarring issue is not fully understood as of yet and the industry consensus is its using a sledge hammer to knock a tack in with the ensuing damage to lads livelihoods,  we all know this  is the already seen and yet to be fully appreciated outcome of a lot of the ridiculous poorly thought out Corona measures imposed upon people. 

On a different subject I’ve just come back from my nearest town as a trip to the building society was in order and at the same time I took my 11yr old twins to the local pet shop. Thankfully at both locations common sense prevailed, the staff at the building society were not wearing masks, I asked if they wanted me to as well bearing in mind they were sitting behind Perspex screens to which I received the answer you don’t have too in here and a roll of the eyes. The old boy in the pet shop was totally against it and made no effort at all to enforce it or wear one himself. Personnel choice and a bit of old fashioned common sense. I’ll also even though it’s not my normal practice try and pay cash whenever possible going forward. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3

I suppose the Dutch national institute for health is wrong about masks then? Seeing as how it goes against the "consensus".

There is no consensus.

There's only the media outlets and persons we choose to blindly trust or distrust, spurred by our temperaments. As with everything. There is real data, but few will take the time and effort to read and learn to understand it.

The Dutch government on Wednesday advised the public not to wear masks to slow the spread of coronavirus, cautioning their effectiveness remains unproven.

The Minister for Medical Care Tamara van Ark made the decision after a review by the country’s National Institute for Health (RIVM).

Instead the official advice is for better adherence to social distancing rules after a surge in coronavirus cases over the past seven days, Van Ark said at a press conference in The Hague, Reuters reports.

“Because from a medical perspective there is no proven effectiveness of masks, the Cabinet has decided that there will be no national obligation for wearing non-medical masks” Van Ark said.

RIVM chief Jaap van Dissel cited studies that show masks help slow the spread of disease but remained unconvinced they will do anything to counter coronavirus outbreak in the Netherlands.

He argued wearing masks incorrectly, together with worse adherence to social distancing rules, could increase the risk of transmitting the disease.

“So we think that if you’re going to use masks (in a public setting) … then you must give good training for it,” he said.

The decision followed a meeting of health and government officials after new coronavirus cases in the country rose to 1,329 in the past week, an increase of more than a third. The case level has since flattened out.

As Breitbart News reported, the Dutch have taken a different path in their reaction to the global pandemic almost from the first moment it was discovered.

Shops have remained open and families cycle along in the sunny summer weather in the Netherlands, which has opted for what it calls an “intelligent lockdown” to meet the coronavirus threat.

In contrast to most other European countries where people were ordered to remain housebound for months at a time, the Dutch authorities merely advised people to stay home if possible and to keep 1.5 metres (five feet) of social distance.

The Dutch position — very similar to Sweden’s — also reflects a wider philosophical split in both Europe and the world on how to balance the need to curb the disease against the catastrophic economic and broader societal damage caused by harsh lockdowns.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Kriss I’ve dived commercially in the UK N sea and worldwide for 30 years bud, qualified IMCA supervisor and Diver Medic tech. The dramatic ott symptoms you describe are quite frankly wrong and typical dramatisation of anything....... 

.... ****************k me, didnt see that coming . K

On 22/07/2020 at 11:09, eggsarascal said:

This is where it fell down for me, my mate died in hospital a few weeks back. We were in n out of there with all sorts of BS excuses, "we've brought him some fresh underwear", "he needs his phone charger", any old bollox to get in there. Not once were we asked/told to wear a face covering.

So your blaming the hospital for your self confessed bullshit?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

So your blaming the hospital for your self confessed bullshit?

Probably just highlighting the fact that some medical experts don't rate the whole mask thing. I took someone to two separate hospitals on the same day, no distancing or masks required. What's the average Joe supposed to think?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stere said:

Thts how science works something some people don't  seem to get.

Except to say that it's a very long time since any independent scientist had a voice.....they're now known as  conspiracists.

Is there such a thing as an independent scientist ?...after all they mostly work for the massive conscienceless corporations that, to me, are fecking this world

Edited by Macpherson
  • Like 2

This whole problem of when should I, or is it compulsory, reminds me a lot of the way the metric/imperial system is enforced here ( or not)

According to some laws all distance measurements should be imperial with metric in brackets alongside.  A lot more people understand what six foot is here than two metres.  It says in this article that most people under forty use metric but whenever I am accused by the young of being out of date and ask them their height and weight it is nearly always  given in imperial.

So this piece from Wikipedia just shows how something potentially simple can be made so complex by those bureaucrats in charge, just like when you should wear a mask

Most British people still use imperial units in everyday life for distance (miles, yards, feet and inches) and volume in some cases (especially milk and beer in pints) but rarely for canned or bottled soft drinks or petrol.[38][43] Though use of kilograms is increasing, many British people also still use imperial units in everyday life for body weight (stones and pounds for adults, pounds and ounces for babies).[citation needed] Government documents aimed at the public may give body weight and height in imperial units as well as in metric.[44] A survey in 2015 found that many people did not know their body weight or height in one system or the other.[45] People under the age of 40 preferred the metric system but people aged 40 and over preferred the imperial system.[46] The height of horses in English-speaking countries, including Australia,[1] Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States is usually measured in hands, standardized to 4 inches (101.6 mm). Fuel consumption for vehicles is commonly stated in miles per gallon (mpg), though official figures always include litres per 100 km equivalents and fuel is sold in litres. When sold draught in licensed premises, beer and cider must be sold in pints, half-pints and third-pints.[47] Cow's milk is available in both litre- and pint-based containers in supermarkets and shops. Areas of land associated with farming, forestry and real estate are commonly advertised in acres and square feet but, for contracts and land registration purposes, the units are always hectares and square metres.[48]

Office space and industrial units are usually advertised in square feet. Steel pipe sizes are sold in increments of inches, while copper pipe is sold in increments of millimetres. Road bicycles have their frames measured in centimetres, while off-road bicycles have their frames measured in inches. The size (diagonal) of television and computer monitor screens is always denominated in inches. Food sold by length or width, e.g. pizzas or sandwiches, is generally sold in inches. Clothing is always sized in inches, with the metric equivalent often shown as a small supplementary indicator. Gas is usually measured by the cubic foot or cubic metre, but is billed like electricity by the kilowatt hour.[49]

Pre-packaged products can show both metric and imperial measures, and it is also common to see imperial pack sizes with metric only labels, e.g. a 1 lb (454 g) tin of Lyle's Golden Syrup is always labelled 454 g with no imperial indicator. Similarly most jars of jam and packs of sausages are labelled 454 g with no imperial indicator. But, whatever the label says, the tins or packets are invariably still packaged in Imperial quantities (typically 8 or 16 ounces).

• Like 1

Another brilliant example of no joined up handwriting is our Japanese import Volvo RHD which has a speedo in KPH but fuel consumption is measured in a slightly more logical Km/litre rather than the stupid litres/100km in Europe.  The former system becomes much easier to read as economy improves whereas the latter starts to go into small fractions.