Face coverings

gary112

19 minutes ago, Mark J said:

How much time do you spend shopping?  I can't see you browsing the aisles of supermarkets on the regular.
There's mass uncertainty at the moment. For the sake of donning a mask while grabbing some supplies, it's not a major inconvenience.

PS - If you stick your thumb up your ass and press your belly button for five seconds, you reset.

You’re ABSOLUTELY right Mark. I spend very little, I mean VERY little time in confined spaces with the great unwashed. 

You’re also absolutely right in that (in theory) it ought to be a really minor inconvenience’ to don a covering when in a shop. 

But, and here it comes, the but....

I have a deeply ingrained aversion to illogical, unreasonable and autocratic imposition of ‘rules’ by ‘the man.’

In this case, the wearing of Face covering to shop - but not play sport, drink beer, eat food, go to school (for the we’en), work in a shop - which is about as retarded a government directive as I can think of and it just about typifies the race to the bottom mentality of complying to the lowest common denominator that seems so prevalent in modern society. 

There are 2 options really, everyone wears a futile face covering to make some people feel better, or some people where a decent mask to keep themselves safer. 

No prizes for guessing my preferred option..... 

As an aside, I have read the dotgov GUIDANCE (not law) and will (until the end of grass & nettle pollen season) be self declaring an exemption.  I don’t need a card, a lanyard or a lengthy explanation as to why I’m not wearing a face covering nor should any self appointed Facebook moral police (nor D&C constabulary) expect any other explanation than - “I know what the guidance states, I know what the exemptions are and since I’m NOT wearing a face covering you should assume I am exempt.  Now ? off”

If they don’t let me in the shop so be it, I’ll suck it up. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Accepting all of the previous points relating to the value of a face covering being for the benefit of others rather than oneself, and noting the supposedly ‘vulnerable’ groups that are ‘supposed’ to benefit from others wearing masks....

Rather than inflicting a broad ranging (but clearly not all encompassing) requirement upon the majority (for the benefit of the minority) why not have Mon-Thu shopping for the majority and Fri shopping for those that might draw some intangible comfort from imposing restrictions on the many. 

OK, at a stretch Mon-Weds for the majority, Thu-Fri for the inherently afraid. 

It is utter, inconsistent, unjustifiable bullocks. 

PS - bouncing on 1 leg with thumb up ass is standard procedure down St Breward way every ½ moon. 

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You’re ABSOLUTELY right Mark. I spend very little, I mean VERY little time in confined spaces with the great unwashed. 

You’re also absolutely right in that (in theory) it ought to be a really minor inconvenience’ to don a covering when in a shop. 

But, and here it comes, the but....

I have a deeply ingrained aversion to illogical, unreasonable and autocratic imposition of ‘rules’ by ‘the man.’

In this case, the wearing of Face covering to shop - but not play sport, drink beer, eat food, go to school (for the we’en), work in a shop - which is about as retarded a government directive as I can think of and it just about typifies the race to the bottom mentality of complying to the lowest common denominator that seems so prevalent in modern society. 

There are 2 options really, everyone wears a futile face covering to make some people feel better, or some people where a decent mask to keep themselves safer. 

No prizes for guessing my preferred option..... 

As an aside, I have read the dotgov GUIDANCE (not law) and will (until the end of grass & nettle pollen season) be self declaring an exemption.  I don’t need a card, a lanyard or a lengthy explanation as to why I’m not wearing a face covering nor should any self appointed Facebook moral police (nor D&C constabulary) expect any other explanation than - “I know what the guidance states, I know what the exemptions are and since I’m NOT wearing a face covering you should assume I am exempt.  Now ? off”

If they don’t let me in the shop so be it, I’ll suck it up. 

Inconsistent, sure. But unjustifiable? Really? 
You say you have an aversion to rules you deem unreasonable. What’s so unreasonable about wearing a mask in a shop? How does this negatively affect you? 

You’ve already acknowledged how little of an issue it is to wear one, and that they may be of benefit. To then say you won’t wear one seems pretty childish really. 

I feel like perhaps there should be options. People can not bother with a mask, go to the pub etc. But when they catch it they just stay put at home and die quietly. Hopefully the memory of how they stuck it to the man will help them pull through... 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Inconsistent, sure  But unjustifiable? Really?  Yes

You say you have an aversion to rules you deem unreasonable. What’s so unreasonable about wearing a mask in a shop?  Would you wear a yellow feather shirt and a red marigold glove on yer head if someone said it helped their ‘mental health?’ It’d be about as much use. 

How does this negatively affect you? 
None of yer ?ing business as it ‘appens....

You’ve already acknowledged how little of an issue it is to wear one,  no I didn’t, I said “in theory... it ought to be...” don’t make YOUR view fit MY words and that they may be of benefit .Again, no, my intimation was that to wear a face covering might give a misplaced comfort to the habitually vulnerable To then say you won’t wear one seems pretty childish really. Errr, ? off! I said I’ve read the “guidance“ and will self exempt - you’re madder than a hatter if you think you deserve [or Id provide] any greater justification than that. 

I feel like perhaps there should be options. You can “feel” whatever you want - that’s the beauty of it, your thoughts and feeling are yours alone and you don’t have to justify them to anyone else. Odd thing is, and what a lot of people seem to overlook these days, that’s a 2 way street mucker. People can not bother with a mask, go to the pub etc. But when they catch it they just stay put at home and die quietly. Hopefully the memory of how they stuck it to the man will help them pull through... 

Right on brother - come the day of the revolution ✊?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Who died n made you Woolfie Smith ? K

Edited by Khriss
( not that you could ever fill Robert Lindsay's shoes)
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Ha ha, not wearing a mask is hardly revolutionary... 

Health professionals widely agree that a simple face mask is of benefit. Countries where this advice has been followed have generally faired relatively well. The UK has obviously not. It’s hardly surprising when there are so many who view it as their right to potentially endanger others...

• Like 3

On 19/07/2020 at 08:03, Big J said:

I don't especially like wearing masks, principally because it obscures the view of my most excellent beard. I feel that others are missing out....

But

It is easy for us lot (who are generally not in high risk categories) to dismiss the value of them. For us they are an inconvenience, an infringement on our personal liberties even. For a previously very active and sociable octogenarian, they are the reassurance that allow them to start to interact with society again. 

Masks do have a tangible effect on transmission rates, and they have a pyschological benefit for those who are genuinely terribly afraid to go out in their communities. We may disparage or dismiss those with such fears, but even if the fear is misplaced, it's still a fear. 

So the very minor ballache of having to shroud my world class viking beard is a price worth paying if it helps older people with comorbidities get out and about and avoid the associated health issues of enforced lockdown. It's only a bit of cloth with a couple of bits of elastic, it's not a conspiracy theory.

I used the headover I wear under my chainsaw helmet as a mask today (I'm a bald bastard and it helps the lid fit).  It was one of the worst things I've ever smelled and a biohazard in its own right.  Worth it for 2 bottles of scrumpy and a forage in the reduced section.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Do I agree with it?

Not particularly.

Will I wear one?

Yes.

I’ll pick up a ninja looking one from Honeys on Wednesday as I have to take the chipper down to Guildford.

I don’t really do shopping, but not being able to pick up after work tinnies would be more than a minor inconvenience.

I’m just not willing to take that kind of risk.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Ha ha, not wearing a mask is hardly revolutionary... 

Health professionals widely agree that a simple face mask is of benefit. Countries where this advice has been followed have generally faired relatively well. The UK has obviously not. It’s hardly surprising when there are so many who view it as their right to potentially endanger others...

I had a ponder on your previous post whilst in the shower (maybe soaping my balls helped) and decided a post script to my previous reply was entirely appropriate.  

Now with this subsequent offering of meaningless drivel from you I've settled on the need for a more 'direct' retort.

What sort of (rhymes with punt) are you?

"Childish" you say?  "Hope they stay at home and die" you say...

This is the COVID equivalent of a BLM tosspot saying "I'll stab you if you're white and you disagree with me."

You want to wear a mask - knock yourself out chopper.  I don't care what you do and I certainly don't care for your opinion of what I do - or in this case, don't do.

"Health professionals widely agree" you say.

Apparently, they don't according to the New Scientist:

WWW.NEWSCIENTIST.COM

The advice on widespread face mask use to protect against covid-19 varies wildly, but there is some evidence that they...

But what would they know...?

The poor barstewards in China that have been wearing masks for years are doing so because the air is toxic from manufacturing and coal fired power stations so of course they are "used" to wearing masks.  

It would be better if we tried to find ways to reduce noxious gas rather than build a trend in more disposable products. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Do I agree with it?

Not particularly.

Will I wear one?

Yes.

I’ll pick up a ninja looking one from Honeys on Wednesday as I have to take the chipper down to Guildford.

I don’t really do shopping, but not being able to pick up after work tinnies would be more than a minor inconvenience.

I’m just not willing to take that kind of risk.

Mate turned up at training last week in a latex werewolf mask having run through town in his black licra training kit.  I fair nearly wee'd a drop when I saw him! 

If I ever do wear one, it's gonna be nasty!

• Haha 1