Face coverings

gary112

I don't especially like wearing masks, principally because it obscures the view of my most excellent beard. I feel that others are missing out....

But

It is easy for us lot (who are generally not in high risk categories) to dismiss the value of them. For us they are an inconvenience, an infringement on our personal liberties even. For a previously very active and sociable octogenarian, they are the reassurance that allow them to start to interact with society again. 

Masks do have a tangible effect on transmission rates, and they have a pyschological benefit for those who are genuinely terribly afraid to go out in their communities. We may disparage or dismiss those with such fears, but even if the fear is misplaced, it's still a fear. 

So the very minor ballache of having to shroud my world class viking beard is a price worth paying if it helps older people with comorbidities get out and about and avoid the associated health issues of enforced lockdown. It's only a bit of cloth with a couple of bits of elastic, it's not a conspiracy theory.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, woodwizzard said:

That's kind of the whole point. They can be made from anything. So any old bit of material could be used with very open pores that lets just about anything in or out.

The official guidance I read was to use 3-ply material or 2-ply if need be but some will be using ‘any old bit of material’ as you say. Those blue disposable ones that are a bit open at the sides you see many using are 3-ply. 

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I don't especially like wearing masks, principally because it obscures the view of my most excellent beard. I feel that others are missing out....

But

It is easy for us lot (who are generally not in high risk categories) to dismiss the value of them. For us they are an inconvenience, an infringement on our personal liberties even. For a previously very active and sociable octogenarian, they are the reassurance that allow them to start to interact with society again. 

Masks do have a tangible effect on transmission rates, and they have a pyschological benefit for those who are genuinely terribly afraid to go out in their communities. We may disparage or dismiss those with such fears, but even if the fear is misplaced, it's still a fear. 

So the very minor ballache of having to shroud my world class viking beard is a price worth paying if it helps older people with comorbidities get out and about and avoid the associated health issues of enforced lockdown. It's only a bit of cloth with a couple of bits of elastic, it's not a conspiracy theory.

Sorry mate but you got no Viking left in you. Would Eric the Red have worn a face mask? Would he ****************. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's crackers, I went to Tesco yesterday there were signs all over saying you must have a face covering from 24th. I spoke to an old lass I know who works there, I asked her if she's got to wear a face covering all day... her reply... no, it's up to us if we want to wear one.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 09:42, doobin said:

Sorry mate but you got no Viking left in you. Would Eric the Red have worn a face mask? Would he ****************. 

Might just point out Eric the Red be dead  ? K

Edited by Khriss
'Broad Jon Broad axe ' be very much alive n posting thee ether letters of awe....

Accepting all of the previous points relating to the value of a face covering being for the benefit of others rather than oneself, and noting the supposedly ‘vulnerable’ groups that are ‘supposed’ to benefit from others wearing masks....

Rather than inflicting a broad ranging (but clearly not all encompassing) requirement upon the majority (for the benefit of the minority) why not have Mon-Thu shopping for the majority and Fri shopping for those that might draw some intangible comfort from imposing restrictions on the many. 

OK, at a stretch Mon-Weds for the majority, Thu-Fri for the inherently afraid. 

It is utter, inconsistent, unjustifiable bullocks. 

PS - bouncing on 1 leg with thumb up ass is standard procedure down St Breward way every ½ moon. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Accepting all of the previous points relating to the value of a face covering being for the benefit of others rather than oneself, and noting the supposedly ‘vulnerable’ groups that are ‘supposed’ to benefit from others wearing masks....

Rather than inflicting a broad ranging (but clearly not all encompassing) requirement upon the majority (for the benefit of the minority) why not have Mon-Thu shopping for the majority and Fri shopping for those that might draw some intangible comfort from imposing restrictions on the many. 

OK, at a stretch Mon-Weds for the majority, Thu-Fri for the inherently afraid. 

It is utter, inconsistent, unjustifiable bullocks. 

PS - bouncing on 1 leg with thumb up ass is standard procedure down St Breward way every ½ moon. 

How much time do you spend shopping?  I can't see you browsing the aisles of supermarkets on the regular.
There's mass uncertainty at the moment. For the sake of donning a mask while grabbing some supplies, it's not a major inconvenience.

PS - If you stick your thumb up your ass and press your belly button for five seconds, you reset.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1