Face coverings

gary112

It depends, a face cover is to protect others, it cuts transmission to something like 20cm but they are not designed to protect the wearer from aerosols (fine gas like particles) which is thought can remain in a closed environment for 1-3 hrs, for protection against possible aerosol transmission by breathing the virus in you would need one of the following masks P1 (80% protection), P2 (94% protection) and P3 (99.95% protection) to offer best protection, you might want use something to cover you eyes as well if going the whole deal but to meet the requirement for England for shops and transport a ideally 3 ply face covering/mask is recommended or 2 ply if 3 ply not available. The reasons the government doesn't promote masks that offer more protection, which would be better in some situation, will be because there are not enough of them around, P3 masks don't seems to be obtainable now at all although P1 and P2 can be found. I wear a P2 mask when go shopping as use them for protection against wood dust anyway (need P2 or P3 for wood dust ). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I’ll wear a Buff if I have to go into a shop, is this applying to pubs too? Might make pint consumption a little awkward! ? 

Believe it or not 'we' can spend all evening mixing with people down the pub without wearing a face covering, but woe be tide you turn up to do half n hours shopping without a face covering.

Joined up thinking seems to be lost on this government.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Believe it or not 'we' can spend all evening mixing with people down the pub without wearing a face covering, but woe be tide you turn up to do half n hours shopping without a face covering.

Joined up thinking seems to be lost on this government.

The main benefit I can see by wearing masks in shops, is that people who are more at risk might now be able to leave their houses and get on with their lives. It's not a major concession to whack one on in a shop.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mark J said:

The main benefit I can see by wearing masks in shops, is that people who are more at risk might now be able to leave their houses and get on with their lives. It's not a major concession to whack one on in a shop.

I haven't got a problem wearing a face covering, (please don't keep calling them masks, shop owners will NOT recognise a face covering else).

I just don't get how we can go down the pub, or send kids to school without face coverings yet we need to use them to nip to Tesco.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I haven't got a problem wearing a face covering, (please don't keep calling them masks, shop owners will NOT recognise a face covering else).

I just don't get how we can go down the pub, or send kids to school without face coverings yet we need to use them to nip to Tesco.

Yup, it doesn't really make sense to me either. Some clarity as to what is guiding their decision making would be good.

• Like 1