fwd v rwd thoughts?

Christian Smith

Hello the arb community, I'm hoping to do a van upgrade soon to bring me into line with the euro 6 standards. I've always been lead to believe that twin wheel, rear wheel drive is the way to go. However hoping to upgrade by mid August and struggling to find what I think I'm looking for. I'm bound by a 3.5t driving licence and payload is important! It seems fwd is cheaper, lighter and more readily available so its got me thinking. I don't want to make a massive, costly mistake. It's extremely rare I'm going off Rd, I occasionally tow but no more than 300kg. It's all urban work and I'm seldom faced with steep inclines to drive up or icy roads to drive up (south London based). As a result I'm seriously considering fwd. Anyone out there able to tell me of the pitfalls? Also looking at Merc/Iveco/VW, again any comments good or bad welcomed. 

Thank you both for the reply and I hear you, but I'm hard pushed to think of the last time I was off tarmac. With absolute respect, are you talking from bitter experience or repeating the perceived rhetoric? The big draw for me is the weight saving/increased payload, and to an extent availability. How about if I got some beefy tyres? Perhaps I should have framed the question has anyone had a positive experience with front wheel drive? If anyone wants to offer some reassurance great. If not I'll have to take my fingers out of my ears and listen to reason ?

Overall payload might be higher, but with single rear wheels, usually the axle gross weight is lower, so you could still be overloaded.

If you're in and around a big city the traction doesn't really matter.

I have both a fwd and rwd, defiantly easier to spin the wheel on grass in the fwd, but to be fair it's tyres aren't up to much

The tyres I have on the rwd (transit) are Maxxis "MA-W2", big chunky things, and they do well.

19 hours ago, Christian Smith said:

Throw in a couple of well fed groundsman and I think that might be a winner. Thanks Steve. I did borrow a friends cabstar nt400 and it was a bit like driving a rowing boat on a choppy sea, but I'm told you get used to it. 

A twin wheel toyota dyna nearly destroyed my spine. To be avoided on bumpy back roads at all costs. fine around town though, until you forget to brake for a speed bump! Cabstar is far more comfortable, relatively speaking.