Help with 346xp

YT23

Hi All,

Would really appreciate any help.

I require a chainsaw for garden maintenance, firewood cutting and pallet cutting. I have been using a old solo 645 (now dead) which i purchased second hand this served me well, but use to struggle with bigger timber. 

After reading this forum and seen the cult following of the 346, i have took the plunge and purchased a second hand 346xp from ebay.

The seller has advised all parts are genuine husqvarna. It has had a new 15" bar, stihl 3/8 1.5 chain, spark plug, brake band, air filter and pull cord installed.

I picked this saw over a new ms181, as everyone had a pretty negative opinion on it. Now i had a few questions:

1. Shall I get the saw ported?

2. Which bar length and (brand & model) is optimum for this saw, cutting all sorts dirty timber and all?

3. Which chain?

I also had the opportunity to purchase a secondhand 550xp 3 years old, but decided against it for 346.

This forum has been a great help and a amazing fountain of knowledge.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, YT23 said:

Hi All,

Would really appreciate any help.

I require a chainsaw for garden maintenance, firewood cutting and pallet cutting. I have been using a old solo 645 (now dead) which i purchased second hand this served me well, but use to struggle with bigger timber. 

After reading this forum and seen the cult following of the 346, i have took the plunge and purchased a second hand 346xp from ebay.

The seller has advised all parts are genuine husqvarna. It has had a new 15" bar, stihl 3/8 1.5 chain, spark plug, brake band, air filter and pull cord installed.

I picked this saw over a new ms181, as everyone had a pretty negative opinion on it. Now i had a few questions:

1. Shall I get the saw ported?

2. Which bar length and (brand & model) is optimum for this saw, cutting all sorts dirty timber and all?

3. Which chain?

I also had the opportunity to purchase a secondhand 550xp 3 years old, but decided against it for 346.

This forum has been a great help and a amazing fountain of knowledge.

Many thanks.

IMO it should be running .325 pitch chain not 3/8ths .   .325 is standard on them .15" bar is about right for this saw . They respond well to porting ( I have a spud ported one ) . If you are cutting " dirty " wood maybe go for a semi chisel chain . 

• Like 5

15" bar is ideal for 346, I'd go for a semi chisel chain if you are cutting dirty wood, if you go to chainsawbars.co.uk they have a range of bars and chains to fit the saw. Look to replace the rim sprocket as well as the saw is secondhand it is likely to be worn. As for porting, its probably not necessary if you are a part time user, however it does really enhance the saw, I had a 346 recently ported by @spudulike on here and it is really impressive. Steve also does more than just port, he sorts out any other issues the saw has, returns it rather better than new tbh.

• Like 3

Also if it is really running 3/8ths you will not only have to change the rim sprocket but the plastic oiler drive as well I think if you put it back to .325 . ( I suspect it is running .325 and the guy that sold it to thought it was 3/8ths . I could be wrong .

Edited by Stubby

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

IMO it should be running .325 pitch chain not 3/8ths .   .325 is standard on them .15" bar is about right for this saw . They respond well to porting ( I have a spud ported one ) . If you are cutting " dirty " wood maybe go for a semi chisel chain . 

beat me to it ? I didn't notice the the 3/8s bit, yes agree.

Just now, YT23 said:

What would this cost me? If I were to get a new semi chisel chain too.

Shall I replace the bar too?

Thanks for the quick replies.

You will have to replace the bar if it is truly 3/8ths as the nose sprocket wont mate with a .325 pitch chain . 

59 minutes ago, YT23 said:

May I ask what the difference between the 2 configurations?

3/8ths ( .375 ) is a longer distance between the drivers than .325 so the drive sprocket on the power head  and the nose sprocket on the bar tip will be different . Does that make sense ? A sorta rule of thumb is up to about 50cc  most saws run .325 pitch and then from 50cc up to about 90cc its 3/8ths and above 90cc its usually .404 pitch . This is not set in stone .

Edited by Stubby