Help with 346xp

YT23

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

3/8ths ( .375 ) is a longer distance between the drivers than .325 so the drive sprocket on the power head  and the nose sprocket on the bar tip will be different . Does that make sense ?

Is one better then the other, is the 3/8 confit bad for the saw? 

apologies I know these questions are rather elementary!

2 minutes ago, YT23 said:

Is one better then the other, is the 3/8 confit bad for the saw? 

apologies I know these questions are rather elementary!

No . As I stated above up to 50cc it is generally considered .325 works better . Above 50cc its thought 3/8ths is more suited . This is why they come this way from the manufacturer .

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

However both will work . The most important thing it to keep the chain sharp .

The seller has just confirmed the sprocket has been changed for a 3/8 set up.

many thanks for all your help and advice.

• Like 1

It’s neither here or there I think In terms of performance... a few folk will run 3/8 as it’s easier if your others saws like 560’s are running 3/8 to buy just one reel of chain and use it for all the saws.
It does make it a bit more aggressive and I’ve had running gear bars and clutch drums at the drive sprockets wear quickly or even shear off on 550’s..if your changing bars and chains you may be better off going back to 325 and putting a new 325 drive sprocket on any way for a couple of quid as it’s a wear part and will damage new Chains if it’s worn.. I do have a few spare new and very slightly worn 325 bars in the shed surplus if you want a bargain.

20 minutes ago, MattyF said:

It’s neither here or there I think In terms of performance... a few folk will run 3/8 as it’s easier if your others saws like 560’s are running 3/8 to buy just one reel of chain and use it for all the saws.
It does make it a bit more aggressive and I’ve had running gear bars and clutch drums at the drive sprockets wear quickly or even shear off on 550’s..if your changing bars and chains you may be better off going back to 325 and putting a new 325 drive sprocket on any way for a couple of quid as it’s a wear part and will damage new Chains if it’s worn.. I do have a few spare new and very slightly worn 325 bars in the shed surplus if you want a bargain.

Definitely if it prolongs the life of saw, I know it’s second hand but I try my best to look after my tools.

It would be much appreciated if you could pm with the price. 

which chain would you recommend?

There is the mini/micro/low pro 3/8 also.

On mine ive got a Sugi hara 325 .050 bar and chain Thinner kerf than 058(width of the cut) stuck with 15" as a good all round size.

The new Oregon EXL is good many seem to like it as cuts well.

To change rim sprocket if hasnt put a sprocket hub onit?Rim type is like a ring that chain runs round that slots over sleeve on brake/clutch drum so just remove clutch and sprocket just slides off put new one on push back in remembering to grease roller bearing! make sure seated on oil pump drive splines! screw clutch back on " Left hand thread" spin drum to make sure seated!

The other the drive sprocket is built into the hub so have to change whole unit.

Chainsawbars has videos on it all and wear on sprockets

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

How to maintain your chainsaw from the air filter to fuel consumption, watch our videos on how to ensure your...
WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

1 hour ago, AngrySquirrel said:

There is the mini/micro/low pro 3/8 also.

On mine ive got a Sugi hara 325 .050 bar and chain Thinner kerf than 058(width of the cut) stuck with 15" as a good all round size.

The new Oregon EXL is good many seem to like it as cuts well.

To change rim sprocket if hasnt put a sprocket hub onit?Rim type is like a ring that chain runs round that slots over sleeve on brake/clutch drum so just remove clutch and sprocket just slides off put new one on push back in remembering to grease roller bearing! make sure seated on oil pump drive splines! screw clutch back on " Left hand thread" spin drum to make sure seated!

The other the drive sprocket is built into the hub so have to change whole unit.

Chainsawbars has videos on it all and wear on sprockets

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

How to maintain your chainsaw from the air filter to fuel consumption, watch our videos on how to ensure your...
WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

image.png.a1b5da412207ba2fbaa75b9b9cde11c2.png

I will replace parts 1-6 with a new 21BPX chain and 15inch bar. 

That should keep me going till winter when stubby will port the saw for me.

• Like 1