Planer thicknesser shopping - advice needed!

john redmond

Hi all, 

Firstly apologies in advance as I'm sure this discussion has been covered previously.

I am currently researching  planer thicknessers for my home workshop, the usual dilemma's such as budget, space and single phase supply are all in play. I am looking for a used/old 12" or possibly 16" cast iron construction machine(Wadkin, Wilson, Sedgwick etc).My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any model that lends itself particularly well to running from a VFD (Single motor for block on rollers) and are there companies who supply these set up and ready to go?

2)Is swapping out a 3phase motor for a single phase equivalent successful? (A seller has offered this)

3)Is it possible to retrofit a block that takes modern self setting double edged knives?

In simple terms I want a good solid machine with basic parts(no Aluminium!) that can operate from single phase supply without compromising on performance.

Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated as a small bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Thanks.

Look for an older wadkin or sedgwick single phase (bomb proof) Cast iron quality but you will struggle on the self setting cutters though. Look for a triple blade cutting block as i only have a double and the extra cutter makes a big difference. What area are you john as i am on another forum more dedicated to this sort of thing and could ask on there for you.

I have a spiral cutter head on my 12" planer thicknesser. Its well worth going for something with one of those if you can, the quality of the cut is unbelievable - especially in difficult grain. They don't require setting and the teeth have 4 sides on them which you rotate when its dull. Apparently each side lasts 4 times as long as a normal planer blade but I've not owned it long enough to find this out yet. Its also very quiet when it cutting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Look for an older wadkin or sedgwick single phase (bomb proof) Cast iron quality but you will struggle on the self setting cutters though. Look for a triple blade cutting block as i only have a double and the extra cutter makes a big difference. What area are you john as i am on another forum more dedicated to this sort of thing and could ask on there for you.

Thanks for the reply. I am actually in Ireland, there is some of these older machines around but all 3 phase and the condition appears to be much better in the UK. Companies who offer used machinery are also thin on the ground. If you could ask in that forum that would be great. I'm no expert but the older single phase machines seem to be rare enough and very sought after.

Good advice on the triple cutter block, had a feeling the self setting block would be like finding a unicorn!!

2 hours ago, Jamespepperpot said:

I have a spiral cutter head on my 12" planer thicknesser. Its well worth going for something with one of those if you can, the quality of the cut is unbelievable - especially in difficult grain. They don't require setting and the teeth have 4 sides on them which you rotate when its dull. Apparently each side lasts 4 times as long as a normal planer blade but I've not owned it long enough to find this out yet. Its also very quiet when it cutting.

Thanks for the reply. They seem to be excellent from the few reviews etc I've seen. If budget wasn't an issue an out of the box Sedgwick tersa block would be ideal.. pity about the 7/8k price tag! I haven't a huge amount of experience setting the knives in the traditional blocks but I've a feeling I'm going to have to learn.

1 hour ago, john redmond said:

Thanks for the reply. They seem to be excellent from the few reviews etc I've seen. If budget wasn't an issue an out of the box Sedgwick tersa block would be ideal.. pity about the 7/8k price tag! I haven't a huge amount of experience setting the knives in the traditional blocks but I've a feeling I'm going to have to learn.

Its very easy to set the blades john and i mean very easy.I have a 12x8 machine in my shop that would suit you perfect but its a 3 phase.I have acquired a larger wadkin with the milling side of things so needed a bigger one.You will be paying through the nose from a dealer for a decent planer like we are mentioning.What sort of budget are you at ?? £1500-2200 should  get you there. 3k for a top end one refurbished plus the dreaded vat.

Edited by topchippyles

1 hour ago, john redmond said:

Thanks for the reply. I am actually in Ireland, there is some of these older machines around but all 3 phase and the condition appears to be much better in the UK. Companies who offer used machinery are also thin on the ground. If you could ask in that forum that would be great. I'm no expert but the older single phase machines seem to be rare enough and very sought after.

Good advice on the triple cutter block, had a feeling the self setting block would be like finding a unicorn!!

John, you may be in luck as i have something along the lines of what you want for sale.

it's one of these if you are interested.

came out of the factory in 1957 and had just been refurbished when i bought it.

there is plenty of info on it here.

located at SL1 8AL.

PM me if you are interested in it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

John, you may be in luck as i have something along the lines of what you want for sale.

located at SL1 8AL.

1.jpg

2.jpg

See the milling thread i posted last week steve (ash) Over there later this week and have got a couple of blanks you are welcome to.

8 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

located at SL1 8AL.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Pretty much the same as i have steve. Yours is to cleaner than mine though ?