Stihl ultra

Wolfie

1 hour ago, Pete Mctree said:

This!

Its not the swap over to alkylate fuel causing the the crud . Its the solvents and ethanol in the pump fuel doing it . It nonly shows up when you switch to alkylate fuel .

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, spudulike said:

They do, usually pieces of wood chip get pummeled in to tiny pieces of wood pulp and these gather in the gauze strainer, it happens, fuel filters are not infallible!

I understand that. :) Seems like the lad is finding sizable bits of rubber, or some other contaminates? I get that wood can break down to such a small size and bypass the filter. But cant see how these larger particles can?

I'll have to break my NAS Tester we used out in the Sahara to have a look and see how bad it is. :D 

On 11/07/2020 at 10:04, Wolfie said:

About a year ago I switched from using Stihl Super 2 stroke oil to Stihl Ultra (always mixed with premium petrol).

In that year I’ve have 2x Ms150t, 346xp, 357xp and a 441 seize.

Bad luck? Just seems a big coincidence.

Anyone elsi having issues?

Hi Wolfie, sorry to hear about your issues

The stihl Ultra oil is superior to the super Super HP so its unlikely this is the cause. if the fuel/oil mix is to blame, its far more likely to be caused by the mix ratio or the petrol part itself.

Where these the same machines that ran on the old fuel/oil mix without issues? if so it could also be that they have simply worn out and they would have done the same had you continued using your previous oil. It does seem a coincidence but it doesn't have to be.

Other members have mentioned that increased ethanol content in your fuel could play a role, this could be true especially if the machines have not been regularly tuned. When you increase the ethanol content in the fuel, you need to compensate by richening the carburettor settings or machines will run lean (ethanol contains around 30% oxygen). running lean for a long time will lead to premature engine failure. Unfortunately there is no way of telling the ethanol content in the fuel you buy at the pumps, all you are told is that it wont be higher than 5% until next year when the maximum level is set to increase to 10% 

The above issues are eliminated when using a ready mixed Alkylate fuel such as Aspen 2 as not only do you get a guaranteed mix ratio which eliminates user error (this happens to the most experienced chainsaw users not just newbies) but you also get a consistent fuel which also plays an important part in the life of a 2-stroke engine.

People often complain about the cost of Aspen when in reality for most arborists the cost increase is actually very small, especially in comparison to the cost of fixing machinery which break due to fuel/oil issues as this is usually over £200 per machine these days, never mind the inconvenient it causes.

• Like 1

Yup at Spud et al, every saw I ever picked up had fuel tank full of shit. The high frequency engine  vibration breaks crap down to silt which WILL get past a filter . Pack of 10 filters fr a tenner off eBay , airline yr tanks every month. New filter.  Not rocket science. K

That is ......    K