Milling olive ash

topchippyles

9 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Why ?? I said i could get that done for 2k all day long. I supply 2 lads local with all the timber for the steel stairs they manufacture (fabricators) I am trade remember and can get any amount of steel at cost prices.

Because I’m curious, I’m vat registered Les and can weld well enough to get most codings i can get steel probs same price as you, I’m sure I could source the Oak too but I know I could not get that down to 2k in a million years with mine and two other guys wages. 

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Because I’m curious, I’m vat registered Les and can weld well enough to get most codings i can get steel probs same price as you, I’m sure I could source the Oak too but I know I could not get that down to 2k in a million years with mine and two other guys wages. 

I fell and mill 90% of my own stuff and get well paid for it . Timber costs me next to zero apart from my cutting time and fuel/chain wear and tear  ect. A great mate of mine is big into salvage and reclamation and sends  stuff down for us to saw up every coupe of weeks which is normally around a days work.Its my own saws and my own time and if i wanted he would give me the steel i needed to make the same stairs as payment for my services. Labour on that for the 2 fabricators is around £500. 1 days work for me and john to run out and fit all the timber to the stairs £300 cost. JOB DONE  Profit £1000 and the post says 2k plus so that is not the exact cost but a ball part figure.

Edited by topchippyles

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

There is men and there is boys ? Its called wheeling and dealing 

Les dear oh dear there is indeed and there is also those whom antagonise for the sake of it. I’ve no idea what you think coded welders get paid or how much grit blasting and powder coating etc costs. Like mr Wright says I’ll take a couple at 2k a pop all day. The timber you get and cut by the way it’s not free, the eqpt you mill it with wasn’t free, time isn’t free it all has to be factored in. Wages and man hrs are probs biggest hit 2 men 500 for the fab work including site visit design measuring cutting drilling welding and factory mock up to check against site visit measurements ????.  I days work to mill ,plane ,cut and fit every piece of timber to complete that staircase ?. Not a bloody chance. You are showing a total lack of understanding of metalwork and fabrication at the very least. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Les dear oh dear there is indeed and there is also those whom antagonise for the sake of it. I’ve no idea what you think coded welders get paid or how much grit blasting and powder coating etc costs. Like mr Wright says I’ll take a couple at 2k a pop all day. The timber you get and cut by the way it’s not free, the eqpt you mill it with wasn’t free, time isn’t free it all has to be factored in. Wages and man hrs are probs biggest hit 2 men 500 for the fab work including site visit design measuring cutting drilling welding and factory mock up to check against site visit measurements ????.  I days work to mill ,plane ,cut and fit every piece of timber to complete that staircase ?. Not a bloody chance. You are showing a total lack of understanding of metalwork and fabrication at the very least. 

Do not talk bollocks.I quoted 2k as a starting point and you have turned it on its head and sound like andy trigger now.You asked and i told you how i operate. My mills cost me thousands to buy and i can make money and have no need to borrow off anyone. Business methods work in many ways so i will explain how i would quote that job. I quote to do a take down of an oak or ash tree ect and make sure i am the lowest on condition i keep all the lumber. Works well i can promise you that. I more than cover my labour costs for both myself and john my chippy/helper to take down process/and mill the whole tree. Profit i get is my milled timber. 1st part done.  Out of that particular tree i will have around  4-6 hundred pounds in un seasoned logs. Wages to cover 2 days milling for 2 men. Part 2 done . Timber comes to the yard to cut for the salvage people so 2 days wages in the bank to cover that cost. I either invoice my labour (paid within 30 days) Or which i have done many time is to take payment for materials on sale in their yard (all invoiced) to add. Part 3 done. The coded welders as you say are 2 of the best in steel i have ever seen and charge me per job. No need for site visit as you put it because i measure it all having 30+ years as a joiner ( To shot blast and coat a small staircase is minimal work. Looking at that stairs its around 16 metres of 225x1100x35mm  . Works out around 4 stair stings which i have a fair amount of seasoned and cut. To run those through the planer/sander and fit is around 4 hours work for 2 men at most with the machines i have in my workshop. Part 5 done. Now you quote for that stairs and then i quote for the same job. The customer could not give a toss how/what/why  as long as what is supplied is the real high quality item they desire. Look at my location (HEADS OF THE VALLEYS)  Very poor area in the uk and to have a nice big place to live  people have real resolve around here. Nearly all me best mates are tradesmen and most have done self builds.

Edited by topchippyles