Spark plug helicoil kit.

Gerbutt

We use Völkel HeliCoil repair kits at work, just order them through our local engineering supplier. Comes with drill bit, helicoil and key for fitting them, i some times use a heat resistant threadlock liquid on them also. Just dont blather it and get excess running all over place, just a smidges! Then run a plug tap through it once its cured [emoji106]

METALWORKSUPPLIES.CO.UK

Volkel V-Coil Metric thread repair kit contains all the parts to drill and re tap old threads. Useful in 100s of applications from DIY to engineering

Link above shows/explains your kit. This isn’t who supplies to us but you get the jist of it. Amazon would probably be an easy source, might pay a little more. Just pick your required size [emoji106]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gerbutt said:

Thanks for the info ratman. Do you know which size and depth to go for, that’s what I’m not sure of?

I think that will be a normal M10 x 1mm pitch but you can check the thread on the spark plug specification.

You need to be aware of a couple of things about helicoils:

they are diamond section coil springs and you insert them into the freshly cut thread( using the supplied tap) by twisting them in with the other supplied tool which drives from a tang at the far end.  Effectively you wind the coil up a bit which shrinks the diameter fractionally. When you are finished the coil springs open to jam the thread on the outside. You then break off the tang. Others apply  threadlock to the helicoil. The issues are that if you don't drive the helicoil deep enough there is an exposed bit to snag at the top. This can get pulled and the rest of the helicoil with it.

Bearing in mind I have only done spark plug threads on aluminium car engines; if there is a bit of build up on the bottom of the helicoil and you put a fresh spark plug in it can drive the helicoil further in but it is unlikely to pull it out as you unwind it as that tends to spread the helicoil against its outer thread. For this reason I did not pass the helicoil tap all the way down in the head, so the helicoil bottomed out on the uncut bit.

Inserts don't have this problem as they have a flange at the top, I have never used inserts.

I have used plenty of M5 helicoils on other chainsaw/small engine threads.

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 3

Hi, have a look at these. I found them better than heli coil. I haven’t bought any for a while but they will be available online. They are one piece rather than spring design and have a shoulder on the top. They are designed for spark plug / heater plug thread repairs.

WWW.TIMESERT.COM
threaded inserts threaded, stripped threads, threaded inserts, blown out sparkplugs, stripped threads, stripped out theads, inserts threaded inserts, ford sparkplug repair, threaded insert thread repair spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threaded inserts for stripped threads, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts, striped out threads, threaded inserts, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

Hi, have a look at these. I found them better than heli coil. I haven’t bought any for a while but they will be available online. They are one piece rather than spring design and have a shoulder on the top. They are designed for spark plug / heater plug thread repairs.

WWW.TIMESERT.COM
threaded inserts threaded, stripped threads, threaded inserts, blown out sparkplugs, stripped threads, stripped out theads, inserts threaded inserts, ford sparkplug repair, threaded insert thread repair spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threaded inserts for stripped threads, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts, striped out threads, threaded inserts, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

They look good but might not be good for the OP as it would mean the spark plug wouldn’t seat as far down as required and would pull the spark away from the cylinder if ya get me, the plug would seat on the flange of the insert and not the face of the cylinder. Would be good in other applications though, such as a sump plug repair etc.

They look good but might not be good for the OP as it would mean the spark plug wouldn’t seat as far down as required and would pull the spark away from the cylinder if ya get me, the plug would seat on the flange of the insert and not the face of the cylinder. Would be good in other applications though, such as a sump plug repair etc.

I get what your saying Ratman, could always put a small chamfer as the flange is tiny. They are like a serated design so they do not unscrew which is the problem I see with heli coils. I am sure we will find out one way or another how OP gets on.
  • Like 1

The biggest problem with fitting a helicoil is getting the tap to thread the hole true to the sealing washer face of the plug. Draper make a stepped tap kit that picks up on what's left of the original thread and uses that to chase out the new thread. If you take your time its sort of fool proof.

Bob

IMG_3213.thumb.JPG.d0e73c19d7e1fe1fa6afd0bd409b926e.JPGIMG_3214.thumb.JPG.ea29236bd83140d82b75c91c3937aca9.JPGIMG_3215.thumb.JPG.dcdea3fd14bb8771237f0110db796209.JPGIMG_3218.thumb.JPG.0e0201569c2a7d55e6829e62de2d8217.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Thank you very much for the replies and explanations [emoji106]

I’ll have a look for the drapper kit, looks good. Thanks for taking the time to supply all the info buddy [emoji106]