Score!

trigger_andy

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

When you put it that way. :D 

Id not pay £600 for a slab of it though. £200 yes. Thats £1600 for the log. His Boss paid £600, he'd have paid that for whatever he was told was worth it. Im paying for the storage and drying for the last 20 years more than anything. The Oak I last got from that barn was 15% MC.  I'll assume these, even at 4" thick will be no different. 

Hardwood sells green £25 a cubic foot, give or take. There is 10 cubes in at least the middle two Slabs so thats £250 a pop right there, right off the mill. 

So if there was 6 boards at 4inch that makes the log 2 foot wide, but that is a through and through price, which means that you are paying £25 /ft for sAP

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Last time I looked at my Tape Measure 36" is 3 foot wide. ;) 

It is on most i have used too, but there are 6 boards in the tree at 4 inch thick which on the same tape measure is 2 foot,plus a bit of  sapwood / wane, not the three foot wide boards that you suggest. The actual amount of recoverable board from those slabs would be around 50%.

• Like 1

Just now, ESS said:

It is on most i have used too, but there are 6 boards in the tree at 4 inch thick which on the same tape measure is 2 foot,plus a bit of  sapwood / wane, not the three foot wide boards that you suggest. The actual amount of recoverable board from those slabs would be around 50%.

Even going by my bothers table there is significantly more than 24" of 'recoverable board'. When selling Slabs do you really remove so much for the customer and call a 36" Slab a 24" one? You're clearly very generous. :) 

Looking at my Brothers table there is not a a significant amount of sapwood or slant on the wane to justify reducing a 36" Slab down to a 24" one.

Plus I was deliberately under sizing the volume. If we're gonna be pedantic I'll get an accurate dimension for you. :D 

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Even going by my bothers table there is significantly more than 24" of 'recoverable board'. When selling Slabs do you really remove so much for the customer and call a 36" Slab a 24" one? You're clearly very generous. :) 

Looking at my Brothers table there is not a a significant amount of sapwood or slant on the wane to justify reducing a 36" Slab down to a 24" one.

Plus I was deliberately under sizing the volume. If we're gonna be pedantic I'll get an accurate dimension for you. :D 

If youlook  were to look at the conversion rates on hardwood logs it is around 50% of round yes.

On the table there is a visible end crack of at least 12 inches that would have to be trimmed,.probably by around 2 foot to bring it out for board quality.

Just now, ESS said:

If youlook  were to look at the conversion rates on hardwood logs it is around 50% of round yes.

On the table there is a visible end crack of at least 12 inches that would have to be trimmed,.probably by around 2 foot to bring it out for board quality.

I think there is a matching crack of 12" at the other end  now as well. I guess thats what happens when you bring a 15%mc Slab into a warm office. And if you look closely its a dirty site office, a few cracks is not really gonna bother them. 

Let me know when you're selling some Slabs, knowing you're gonna remove 1/3rd of its volume due to wane and sapwood and take off the lengths of any cracks sounds like there is some bargains to be had! 

Do you have any pictures of the Slabs you mill and sell?

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I think there is a matching crack of 12" at the other end  now as well. I guess thats what happens when you bring a 15%mc Slab into a warm office. And if you look closely its a dirty site office, a few cracks is not really gonna bother them. 

Let me know when you're selling some Slabs, knowing you're gonna remove 1/3rd of its volume due to wane and sapwood and take off the lengths of any cracks sounds like there is some bargains to be had! 

Do you have any pictures of the Slabs you mill and sell?

Ha ha, i was buying roundwood for a hardwood mill at 18 years old . The mill i bought for predominantly cut Ash , beech, sycamore,lime, and a small amount of oak, average recovery rate was 47%.based on roundwood measure/ boardfeet sold. through and through, some one square edge.

Other hardwood mills would quote similar figures.

End cracks would have to be trimmed and would be part of the conversion figure from roundwood to board.

Ha ha, i was buying roundwood for a hardwood mill at 18 years old . The mill i bought for predominantly cut Ash , beech, sycamore,lime, and a small amount of oak, average recovery rate was 47%.based on roundwood measure/ boardfeet sold. through and through, some one square edge.
Other hardwood mills would quote similar figures.
End cracks would have to be trimmed and would be part of the conversion figure from roundwood to board.

That’s great.

But I asked what slabs you mill and have for sale. At £25 a cubic foot minus 1/3rd volume and any defects cut off I’d like to see this stock you have. They must sell like hot cakes.