Score!

trigger_andy

A Sawmill I used to use in the past was clearing out one of their barns and Ive scored some Ash Slabs off of them. My brother bought one of them 4 years ago and paid £600 for it.  The middle slices are at least 36" across, 4" thick and over 3m long. 5 all off of the same log. Best bit is they've been stored for 20 years in that barn. Paid £200 a slab and he threw in a couple of oak bits as well. 

The table was for my brothers boss who owns a Construction company, the name is down the H-Beam. 

107901662_10221173911596008_7750055618060041064_o.jpg

107917883_740488480039616_5125664785610170985_n.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, Ratman said:

Thats about as industrial as ya can make it, i think it suits it emoji106.png

Customers seem to love it. That slab is the one that would have been sitting onto the stack we just bought, would never have thought 4 years later we'd have bought the rest. :D 

• Like 1

Just now, monkeybusiness said:

That table is great!

World’s most expensive (and most profitable for the mill) Ash tree possibly?! 

Really? Never thought there was much of a market for Ash? My brothers taking half for making worktops for his new house. Will split his lot in half. 2" is plenty think. 

I'll have a nosy around the yard, everything else not deems worthwhile (like this) was dumped out in the rain. Shame really.

Just now, monkeybusiness said:

That one log has pulled in £1800 to the mill - that’s phenomenal!

Seems like you and your brother are THE market for ash!

When you put it that way. :D 

Id not pay £600 for a slab of it though. £200 yes. Thats £1600 for the log. His Boss paid £600, he'd have paid that for whatever he was told was worth it. Im paying for the storage and drying for the last 20 years more than anything. The Oak I last got from that barn was 15% MC.  I'll assume these, even at 4" thick will be no different. 

Hardwood sells green £25 a cubic foot, give or take. There is 10 cubes in at least the middle two Slabs so thats £250 a pop right there, right off the mill. 

30 minutes ago, donnk said:

personally i think they look doggo bit like the room its sat in.

Tables need to be square and true. 

Live edge is a fad like the filofax.

Ah were actually finking that if the current fad for infilling cracked, waney edged and rotten timber with resin goes much furthur, they might needa just run the timber through a chipper first, then mix it with the resin.

But somebody done that years ago and called it chipboard.

P.S.

Though some of the finished works are indeed beauitful, at least on Youtube, how the resin fares and looks in the real world with scratches etc would concern me.