LOLER / PUWER Inspections - Forklifts, Excavators and quickhitches.

arboriculturist

Speaking to my Insurer today, the question was asked - " Do you have your Forklift, Excavators and quick-hitches inspected for LOLER and PUWER ? - as if not, unfortunately you will not have any insurance cover on those pieces of equipment"

In addition, if there were to be an accident caused due to an equipment malfunction due to negligence and an employee were injured, HSE would investigate and you would be liable for their time on site and office time spend processing the investigation - currently charged at circa. £150 / hr.

I would suggest that this post may set off quite a few alarm bells on the forum, especially for those who employ staff to operate the above.

The inspection frequency always seems a little clouded depending on who you ask.

Also pretty much everyone I speak to,  never gets anything inspected and that appears to be the norm.

Any comments may be usefull.

Edited by arboriculturist

1 hour ago, dumper said:

Have mine done every year and my Chains standard practise to be covered and legal. If you work on site it is one of the first bits of paper asked for

Just fitted new chains and on a 2.5 tonne rough terrain they weren't lo-cost. 

Is your test around the 125 - 150 mark +vat?

8 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Just fitted new chains and on a 2.5 tonne rough terrain they weren't lo-cost. 

Is your test around the 125 - 150 mark +vat?

I have two machines tested at same time plus fork,crane,shunting / lifting block, turf carrier,and grab attachments for £250.00 plus vat last time 

Everyone I know gets kit inspected as the norm, and that’s because we wouldn’t get on site without it.

Machines are Loler and All my attachments are Puwer inspected.

Everything is done by Matt at Shropshire Plant Services, top service, not expensive.

All shackles and lifting slings are disposed of after 6 months, or immediately if damaged.

The cost of the mainly 5 tonne Roundslings I use isn’t even worth taking the slightest chance, and the smaller shackles are the same.

I have several sets of chains and larger shackles specific for tasks, that are never in regular use, these are tested when a project requires them, as they’ll always end up running out mid project on me otherwise.

I have paper copies of all the certs in the machines, and a file of images on my phone just for certs as well.

You can’t beat having a paper copy for any inspection on site, but invariably now the person doing the inspection will ask if you can e mail them over copies, that’s despite the fact you’ll have already sent them before you had the order number! 

Eddie.

• Like 2