Stump grinding

Pman

well just an update for re this job, I didn't get it, customer said I was substantially dearer than other company who had quoted £350,

I have no interest in competing against prices like that but just so you know how the story ended.

Thank you all very much for your assistance its much appreciated 

Pman

• Confused 1

On 09/07/2020 at 21:24, Stumpy Grinder said:

£350 would be about right, but I wouldn’t be taking any grinding away! 

still too cheap surely. Ive seen the big grinders in action and seen it destroy a 4 ft beech and a 6ft chestnut stump in 20mins while the operator sat on a bench ( remote control) but it cost him £40 in fuel just to get to site ( his van that is)and a fair amount of time setting up.

And a full set of teeth was about £400! plus machines fuel. Not to mention the investment of god knows how much to buy the machine and oh mans wages to operate.

on a side note quoted for a pair of stumps, be a decent day ( Ash and hornbeam ) 3-4 ft each. Crap access so small pedestrian grinder.

Guy came back today on email saying i was too much. He got a quote of £80+VAT. 

doesnt even cover the cost to go there! teeth and fuel alone is got to be £40+, mans labour got to be £80-100.

Wear and tear? 

i told him to get some more quotes as it cant be right!

• Like 1

still too cheap surely. Ive seen the big grinders in action and seen it destroy a 4 ft beech and a 6ft chestnut stump in 20mins while the operator sat on a bench ( remote control) but it cost him £40 in fuel just to get to site ( his van that is)and a fair amount of time setting up.
And a full set of teeth was about £400! plus machines fuel. Not to mention the investment of god knows how much to buy the machine and oh mans wages to operate.

on a side note quoted for a pair of stumps, be a decent day ( Ash and hornbeam ) 3-4 ft each. Crap access so small pedestrian grinder.
Guy came back today on email saying i was too much. He got a quote of £80+VAT. 
doesnt even cover the cost to go there! teeth and fuel alone is got to be £40+, mans labour got to be £80-100.
Wear and tear? 
i told him to get some more quotes as it cant be right!

£80 ?

Zero missing.

Win some lose some, move on, we rarely enter into negotiations. Only you know what you are worth and try not to worry about what everybody else is up to. [emoji106]

I agree. Everyone’s overheads are different. Price it and leave it. Unless the job is big and there is more fat on the job to negotiate with you will only kick yourself if you go cheap.
I priced some stumps 2 weeks ago. £440 plus vat. The customer wanted me to do it but they had a quote for something like £280 with no vat. I politely told them that was a bargain and they should take it. They still asked if I would negotiate. Nope.
No doubt an element of bluff calling goes on.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

£80 ?

Zero missing.

you would think so but he actually told me £90 , when i said it may be a mistake he clarified it was £80+VAT.

But yes £800+VAT wouldnt be a million miles off what they are worth!

I am not negotiating.

In fact i often say can i have their number as i could sub them in and make good money off them doing all the work!

• Like 1