New petrol chippers

Chris Murphy

I’m in the market to replace a TW230 and having made a few calls today I have found out that new ones have become as rare as rocking horse poop. I was hoping for a straight swap for a new machine but it turns out they have all been sold or there’s a a major back log due to the pandemic. The upshot of it is that the machine that I’m likely to end up with are the new “Diet Petrol” or “Fat Free Diesel” breed. I’m not adversed to the idea but for some reason I have hesitation on getting one.

So with that in mind, is anyone running a 6 inch petrol chipper and if so, how are they getting on with it? How does it compare to the current diesel machines both economy and efficiency?  I’ve seen a lot of Forst petrol chippers but not many Timberwolfs and know very little about the Greenmech petrol machines. 

Cheers,

Chris 

Edited by Chris Murphy

It sounds that it has something to do with the stage V diesel emissions that has come in to affect from July and timberwolf can not use the 35hp engine in the 230 that they have been using. 

Both Greenmech and Forst have already address this issue and have 6 inch diesel chippers that run a stage V engine but are both above 750kg in weight. 

If you want a sub 750kg then all the  chipper manufacturers have them but most are petrol. 

If the weight is not an issue then it might be worth looking at the diesel chippers from Greenmech and Forst. 

Have a look at the Evo Greenmech 165.

They do a  petrol and diesel. 

I think that all the manufacturers use the same petrol engine for there chippers so if you go down the petrol route then it's just which brand you prefer. 

There has been a few issues raised on here with the petrol engine so it might be  worth a search. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Murphy said:

I’m in the market to replace a TW230 and having made a few calls today I have found out that new ones have become as rare as rocking horse poop. I was hoping for a straight swap for a new machine but it turns out they have all been sold or there’s a a major back log due to the pandemic. The upshot of it is that the machine that I’m likely to end up with are the new “Diet Petrol” or “Fat Free Diesel” breed. I’m not adversed to the idea but for some reason I have hesitation on getting one.

So with that in mind, is anyone running a 6 inch petrol chipper and if so, how are they getting on with it? How does it compare to the current diesel machines both economy and efficiency?  I’ve seen a lot of Forst petrol chippers but not many Timberwolfs and know very little about the Greenmech petrol machines. 

Cheers,

Chris 

Chris I have been running a Greenmech 150p for around 2years now and can only say good things about it....am not the type of guy who has ever messed about with engines and doing my own fault finding and repairs and in 2 years I have only had a couple of minor mechanical issues which was sorted under warranty.it runs an chips great and the engine is well man enough being a 36hp Briggs.

will be chopping my 150p in for a new 165 Evo petrol next few weeks which is an even better machine.so don’t be put off by a petrol and you will definitely be pleasantly surprised how good they are. 

• Like 3

I had a 165 on demo but it was a diesel as I had to wait to long for the petrol...I liked the vertical rollers and bigger infeed shute...never had a diesel machine and having this one on demo hit home why I don’t like them...the weight is the biggest issue as the 165D weighs in at 1000kg. Compared to the petrol version which is around 860kg but Greenmech have done a bit of tweaking and have brought the weight down to below 800kg now and chopping my 150p in as it is still in really good condition and low hours so getting rid...could get more if sold it private but haven’t got the time to muck about.

2 hours ago, 5 shires said:

I had a 165 on demo but it was a diesel as I had to wait to long for the petrol...I liked the vertical rollers and bigger infeed shute...never had a diesel machine and having this one on demo hit home why I don’t like them...the weight is the biggest issue as the 165D weighs in at 1000kg. Compared to the petrol version which is around 860kg but Greenmech have done a bit of tweaking and have brought the weight down to below 800kg now and chopping my 150p in as it is still in really good condition and low hours so getting rid...could get more if sold it private but haven’t got the time to muck about.

The Evo 165 petrol is now a 750kg machine... 

Chris Murphy, are you restricted to 750kg?