Bratt and colbran money winch.

Captain2407

I've just purchased one of these to try and remove and tree stump which is stopping us putting a fence up. The plate says this can pull 10 ton. I have a large tree in the middle of the garden that I want to use as an anchor but I'm not sure if it has the power to pull it out or the tree is strong enough. I will add pictures. Hopefully someone can give me some advise. Thanks

IMG_20200706_145829.jpg

IMG_20200706_145806.jpg

IMG_20200706_145755.jpg

IMG_20200706_145742.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-152931.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-152954.jpg

Edited by Captain2407

The tree would probably take it, set the sling right at the base. The issue is the height of the stump you’re trying to pull out. You’d typically want the stump to be 3-4 ft high so you’d get some leverage with the winch.

its not impossible. I just think by the time you have excavated enough of the stump and axes through the roots you’d probably be already there anyway 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain2407 said:

I'll have ago with the winch but if not then I think I'll have to get a grinder in. I still have about 10 concrete posts to pull out and some smaller trees so it should still be useful to me if the stump doesn't come out.

I assume its a " Monkey " winch , like a Trewella  ? ( as apposed to a money winch in the title ) . I have used them in the past to winch hung up trees out .  . Like you say its the strength of the anchor that is important .  Save it for your fence posts and get a grinder in as others have suggested . 

Yes, it should say monkey winch lol. I'll change that now. Yes it's just like the truewhella with 10t load. I just can't see how that old grubby stump could out anchor a healthy tree that is alot bigger in diameter. The anchor tree is also on higher ground which might give me the leverage to pop it out. Really appreciate all the advise guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1