from chainsaw to bandsaw

Tippin Alaybye

like yourself, started with an M7, and moved on to an HM126,  on a trailer, ok it wont quite go where the logosol went, but production is way higher, quality about the same, a lot less wastage and sawdust, and uses a lot less fuel, no 2 stroke to mix, no chain oil to fill up......water and fairy liquid !,   and the biggest bonus, its a lot quieter, all the tricks you learned oin the M8 still apply on the bandsaw, the only advice I would give above other things, check the you tube videos from independant users, and when you build it, read the manual cover to cover to start with, and do it like it says, especially when setting up  tracking and levels.......woodlands are great machines, but have quirks, ........my M7, it now only gets used if I have to break something to big down to fit on the bandmill, or for special wide slabs for tabletops

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

cheers but 126 fine for me

My mate chris is a woodlands dealer based in pontyypool south wales.He has said to me many times that the biggest regret from people who get the 126 was not going for the 130 model.I have used them all and wood not go the 126 route myself as hardly anything in it overall and you have the bigger cutting option.

Edited by topchippyles

4 hours ago, topchippyles said:

My mate chris is a woodlands dealer based in pontyypool south wales.He has said to me many times that the biggest regret from people who get the 126 was not going for the 130 model.I have used them all and wood not go the 126 route myself as hardly anything in it overall and you have the bigger cutting option.

cheers, already mailed him re any demos coming up once this virus settles. invited me to Wales but a long way from County Durham. 

ok, thanks everyone. one more question. obviously i don't want to throw away money so would the 130 (yes, changed my mind) on a trailer be a better investment than the cheaper  Frontier OS 27 on a trailer? probably not a lot of experience out there with the Frontier but i read it as American Norwood quality made overseas so cheaper???

Edited by Tippin Alaybye

14 hours ago, agrimog said:

like yourself, started with an M7, and moved on to an HM126,  on a trailer, ok it wont quite go where the logosol went, but production is way higher, quality about the same, a lot less wastage and sawdust, and uses a lot less fuel, no 2 stroke to mix, no chain oil to fill up......water and fairy liquid !,   and the biggest bonus, its a lot quieter, all the tricks you learned oin the M8 still apply on the bandsaw, the only advice I would give above other things, check the you tube videos from independant users, and when you build it, read the manual cover to cover to start with, and do it like it says, especially when setting up  tracking and levels.......woodlands are great machines, but have quirks, ........my M7, it now only gets used if I have to break something to big down to fit on the bandmill, or for special wide slabs for tabletops

i was thinking what to do with my M8. i was going to firm up the centre rail connection with some aluminium brazing rods if i'm gonna keep it, if there is any use in keeping with a new sawmill, but have no idea of the second hand market for these things. 

any out the box ideas on what to do with the dust and slabs? they are coming out my ears. have ducks and chickens, compost it, spread it around my muddy areas, saw the slabs for firewood, made as many raised decks with them as my garden will take. thinking about doing charcoal.

my scarey thought is i've felled trees ive actually planted ?

Edited by Tippin Alaybye

46 minutes ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

ok, thanks everyone. one more question. obviously i don't want to throw away money so would the 130 (yes, changed my mind) on a trailer be a better investment than the cheaper  Frontier OS 27 on a trailer? probably not a lot of experience out there with the Frontier but i read it as American Norwood quality made in China so cheaper???

Pretty much the same saw the os 31 as the woodlands 130. Same engine, bed setup is close and far more support for the woodlands on parts and support.2/3 days delivery direct from sweden but to be fair i have not even come across the fromtier in the flesh.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Thanks 1