Quality of service from dealers

clive

I’ve recently been dealing with stump grinder woes. About a year ago, I purchased a used stump grinder from a large national dealership here in the uk. The company had owned the machine since new, as was one of their hire machines. It was advertised at £16k, with 160 hrs. I naively thought this sounded great, and went to see it. Having had little experience of stump grinders, It looked a little tatty for a newish machine, but I figured it’s been a hire, so probably had idiots driving it through hedges and such. I asked the dealer straight, does the hour meter work, are the hours correct and they said yes and yes. So I think fair enough, big dealer, and believe all their usual sales Patter about how great they are. I get some finance, and take it home. I do acknowledge that I totally screwed up here, and I should of made a wiser decision here! 

First job it goes out onto, it overheats. I try to ring dealer, dealers won’t answer/respond. I’m too busy to peruse it, change the coolant, and carry on. Fast forward a year, engine eats the turbo after a year of only being able to run at full revs for 15 minutes before it overheats. Had the rad professionally checked and flushed, changed the head gasket etc, Eventually ended up with a groundie standing with a leaf blower pointed at the radiator every time we used it. 

I end up buying a new engine from a different dealer (Bryco, who have been exceptional by the way). During the process of stripping the machine down, it becomes obvious that this machine has seen a lot more than the 214hrs is has on the clock to date. Large parts of the frame have cracked, and everything is very worn. I’ve ended up doing a hell of a lot of welding, a new engine, and I’m trying to find someone who can spray weld the driveshaft, as it’s worn down where the bearings have been moving on the shaft. 

Can’t help but be quite annoyed that a supposedly reputable dealer can act this way. I haven’t mentioned the dealer, (or the make of machine) as I don’t want to break forum rules, although i will if admin feels it’s appropriate? I’m left with the dealer being the only uk dealer for that make of machine, so I’m forced to go back to them for parts. Seems kinda unfair that our customers hold us accountable via Facebook reviews for our work, yet dealers don’t seem to be held to the same standards. I hope perhaps we can change this, if we talk more about which dealers are good or bad? 

So, Dealers I’ve used, and my thoughts

Jas Wilson, ok/good, sold me a tractor that had a few issues but did fix them all, although it took a few months.

kipper hire, good.

Farm and forestry services, good. 

Bryco (Kubota engine spares, excellent in every way. Fast, efficient, rectify issues immediately (the courier dropped and damaged the new engine)

And obviously, very unimpressed with the unmentionable dealer above! 

• Like 1

In 2014 I bought a mint 3 year old Carlton 4012 with 176 hours from 'Lemon' Plant.

Upon arrival, we couldn't start it. Nothing would work.

Then it would start, then stop mid grind or on the loading ramps or in the middle of the clients drive.

I soon realised 'Lemon Plant' had foisted a proper lemon upon us and there was nothing we could do except bitch and bellyache online.

I even booked a ferry ticket to return it to the U.K only to be told that the Sussex depot would not be open that day after I'd made the rendeveous nor would any other 'Lemon Plant' depot accept the machine back.

Sold as seen they claimed  despite having a 3month warranty which they said was an error.

Crooks, villaines, opportunists.

Beware the Orange Plant bearing Lemons...

Stuart 

Edited by Ty Korrigan

10 hours ago, clive said:

I’ve recently been dealing with stump grinder woes. About a year ago, I purchased a used stump grinder from a large national dealership here in the uk. The company had owned the machine since new, as was one of their hire machines. It was advertised at £16k, with 160 hrs. I naively thought this sounded great, and went to see it. Having had little experience of stump grinders, It looked a little tatty for a newish machine, but I figured it’s been a hire, so probably had idiots driving it through hedges and such. I asked the dealer straight, does the hour meter work, are the hours correct and they said yes and yes. So I think fair enough, big dealer, and believe all their usual sales Patter about how great they are. I get some finance, and take it home. I do acknowledge that I totally screwed up here, and I should of made a wiser decision here! 

First job it goes out onto, it overheats. I try to ring dealer, dealers won’t answer/respond. I’m too busy to peruse it, change the coolant, and carry on. Fast forward a year, engine eats the turbo after a year of only being able to run at full revs for 15 minutes before it overheats. Had the rad professionally checked and flushed, changed the head gasket etc, Eventually ended up with a groundie standing with a leaf blower pointed at the radiator every time we used it. 

I end up buying a new engine from a different dealer (Bryco, who have been exceptional by the way). During the process of stripping the machine down, it becomes obvious that this machine has seen a lot more than the 214hrs is has on the clock to date. Large parts of the frame have cracked, and everything is very worn. I’ve ended up doing a hell of a lot of welding, a new engine, and I’m trying to find someone who can spray weld the driveshaft, as it’s worn down where the bearings have been moving on the shaft. 

Can’t help but be quite annoyed that a supposedly reputable dealer can act this way. I haven’t mentioned the dealer, (or the make of machine) as I don’t want to break forum rules, although i will if admin feels it’s appropriate? I’m left with the dealer being the only uk dealer for that make of machine, so I’m forced to go back to them for parts. Seems kinda unfair that our customers hold us accountable via Facebook reviews for our work, yet dealers don’t seem to be held to the same standards. I hope perhaps we can change this, if we talk more about which dealers are good or bad? 

So, Dealers I’ve used, and my thoughts

Jas Wilson, ok/good, sold me a tractor that had a few issues but did fix them all, although it took a few months.

kipper hire, good.

Farm and forestry services, good. 

Bryco (Kubota engine spares, excellent in every way. Fast, efficient, rectify issues immediately (the courier dropped and damaged the new engine)

And obviously, very unimpressed with the unmentionable dealer above! 

Basically i would have got the solicitors in - misrepresentation and deception. K

11 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

In 2014 I bought a mint 3 year old Carlton 4012 with 176 hours from 'Lemon' Plant.

Upon arrival, we couldn't start it. Nothing would work.

Then it would start, then stop mid grind or on the loading ramps or in the middle of the clients drive.

I soon realised 'Lemon Plant' had foisted a proper lemon upon us and there was nothing we could do except bitch and bellyache online.

I even booked a ferry ticket to return it to the U.K only to be told that the Sussex depot would not be open that day after I'd made the rendeveous nor would any other 'Lemon Plant' depot accept the machine back.

Sold as seen they claimed  despite having a 3month warranty which they said was an error.

Crooks, villaines, opportunists.

Beware the Orange Plant bearing Lemons...

Stuart 

you do seem to have exceptionally bad luck with machines...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3