Courier woes

Acerforestry

A bit of googling shows that as the internation site, the uk site doesn't seem to prohibit them (unless I've missed something): ?

NEW.MYHERMES.CO.UK

At Hermes, there are a few items we will carry and not cover, and other items we won't carry at all. Read the full list before...

3 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

A bit of googling shows that as the internation site, the uk site doesn't seem to prohibit them (unless I've missed something): ?

NEW.MYHERMES.CO.UK

At Hermes, there are a few items we will carry and not cover, and other items we won't carry at all. Read the full list before...

Im on Hermes.co.uk. Maybe because Im outta the country? 

Anyway, they can argue a chainsaw will full under one of these prohibited items;

Gardening and household tools – Unless they are properly protected

Sharp instruments – Including Knives, Scissors and Axes

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

I think "Disposed of" probably means that it is either offered to employees or is disposed through auctioning off pallets of undisclosed parcel contents and people take a chance they can make some bucks on a pallet of "Stuff".

Online returns are often disposed of like this.

I caught a bit of a program on channel 5 about waste, they were at a yard that processes for recycling and landfill. Every week they look forward to one of the skips coming in from a courier company, apparently all the damaged parcels go in there (mixed in with general rubbish), and the lads in the site were bragging about finding Iphones etc!

23 minutes ago, scbk said:

I caught a bit of a program on channel 5 about waste, they were at a yard that processes for recycling and landfill. Every week they look forward to one of the skips coming in from a courier company, apparently all the damaged parcels go in there (mixed in with general rubbish), and the lads in the site were bragging about finding Iphones etc!

Doesn't surprise me.

We have had a few parcels destroyed, apparently, due to shipping out things like marker spray and boot wax! Its OK to ship them in a parcel force van but not a royal mail one for some reason! We have learnt the hard way.

I dont think we have ever had a lost parcel returned to us even though every parcel has our address on an A4 sheet of paper inside. 

On 04/07/2020 at 08:25, Acerforestry said:

Occasionally one or two of us on here may need to courier a saw, for a few different reasons. I buy the odd old school saw from ebay, and recently secured a Husqvarna 362xp Special, a rare thing now and I was pleased as punch to get it. I set the courier up as the seller usually preferred collect, and given he is in the rear end of nowhere in Scotland I had myhermes pick the saw up from him. 5 days later the issues started...saw had been temporarily held up according to tracking, then a further 2 days later, no tracking at all and item showing as "invalid". I managed to get through to a virtual assistant initially on Thurs and yesterday came the reply. Essentially the item had somehow been damaged (securely packed in a double skinned wine case apparently), and deemed to be a risk to staff..and destroyed. I'm a pretty reasonable bloke, I understand that items get dropped, go astray maybe; but what does my nut in is how the hell did they damage a very durable item like this to begin with, and how is the thing deemed a risk when emptied of fuel and dissembled - its not a canister of plutonium, is it. I have every reassurance from the sender who seems a very helpful and genuine bloke that his men (its a business) emptied and packed it properly, he saw one of them packing it. I've sent an email to hermes saying I want the thing returned no matter what the condition but what they've done with it is anyone's guess. Furious, really - don't use these clowns if you need to send anything to Spud, for example

They stole it simple.

Had exact down to the T happen with someone sending a very expensive reel to Shimano nie on a £1000 ultra well packed as pride and joy then got same as you.

Bring it up on social media Twitter and Arsebook and keep reposting

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They always look after the purchaser which is frustrating if the purchaser is an ijut (not directed at you of course!!) and the seller is bona fide decent but .........you never got it, the seller cant have packed it correctly ensuring it had no fuel smells etc so you reap what you sow....life is harsh but can be made less so if you do things right - decent box, FULL drain down, bag the saw, double skin box, lots of padding, shrink wrap around the outside if the box is a bit iffy, bar ends padded if included, padding around the dogs....simple but not often done!

I haven't had any issues with kit I have couriered and there have been hundreds!

Edited by spudulike

8 hours ago, spudulike said:

They always look after the seller which is frustrating if the purchaser is an ijut (not directed at you of course!!) and the seller is bona fide decent but .........you never got it, the seller cant have packed it correctly ensuring it had no fuel smells etc so you reap what you sow....life is harsh but can be made less so if you do things right - decent box, FULL drain down, bag the saw, double skin box, lots of padding, shrink wrap around the outside if the box is a bit iffy, bar ends padded if included, padding around the dogs....simple but not often done!

I haven't had any issues with kit I have couriered and there have been hundreds!

Ive always fount it the complete opposite. Ebay and Paypal always look after the purchaser and not the seller. 

I sold a V8 a year ago. Made it perfectly clear its collection only or arrange your own courier. The purchaser agreed, paid me a little extra for a pallet and cargo straps. I waited and waited for him to arrange collection but he was working over-sea's. Then 3 months later I get a request to cancel the order, which I say no to. The moneys already been spent and a deals a deal. So he goes through ebay and paypal, who after a lot of back and fourth and reviewing the working in the add agree with me he is in the wrong but as I still have the engine they are refunding him. Happens again and again.

I just bought a Polytunnel. The cover seems to be missing some fasteners, I ask the seller to replace or refund the cover. They refuse and say its past the return date (I was working away) So I told him its ok, I'll just get my money back from paypal. He dragged his heels and never countered my arguments as we both know full well paypal would side with me. I only asked for the money for the cover to be replaced, not the whole Polytunnel. 

Sold a Honda GX390, described the shaft as 1". He said its 25mm and wanted a full refund. I instantly knew I was screwed. He got his full refund from paypal. 

I never accept paypal now and insist I pay through it.