Courier woes

Acerforestry

7 hours ago, billpierce said:

Sorry to here this. I have had similer issues. My bet is it was poorly packaged so sharp bits where exposed or leaking fuel

100% this is the reason. 

It will have either been thrown in the skip by now or someones taken it home. The market for old saws is quite niche so I'll assume its of no interest to anyone there and just dumped. 

2 hours ago, Bunzena said:

Acerforestry - I feel your pain.  I can't believe that Hermes can simply dispose of an item without getting in contact with you first.  They've acted as judge and jury here.  I'd be tempted to escalate.

They most certainly can if you've ticked the boxes that mean you agree to their terms and conditions. Most will not allow you to ship a Chainsaw full stop so by doing so you've violated the terms and conditions and have signed your rights away. 

24 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

100% this is the reason. 

It will have either been thrown in the skip by now or someones taken it home. The market for old saws is quite niche so I'll assume its of no interest to anyone there and just dumped. 

No, not the case. In two emails they have confirmed that they damaged the packaging, it wasn't badly packed.

Hence a bit poor they then blame the two parties involved in the transaction

Looking at the 'exclusions' on Hermes website [outlining things they won't carry - and then things they won't compensate for] is eye-opener.

WWW.MYHERMES.CO.UK

Need to send a parcel but not sure if you can send it with Hermes? Check out our excluded items check list to see if you can send your item with us <br/>

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

Yeas that's something I'm taking up with them currently. Garden and household tools not covered "unless properly packed" or words to that effect. So, a grey area

received.jpg
Query Resolved

Reference: 200702-029893

Parcel ID: 1925376249500586

Subject: Hermes email enquiry

You recently requested our assistance through the online support pages. Below is a summary of your request and our response. If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next  7 days. Thank you for raising this with us.
To access your question from our support site, click here

Response By E-mail (Alfiya Sayed) (04/07/2020 10.47 AM)
Dear             ,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about parcel number 1925376249500586

We're so sorry to hear that the contents of your parcel have been damaged.  The parcels go through several handling and transportation processes and on rare occasions this may happen. 

We’ve had a look at your claim details and we’re sorry but we’re unable to accept this due to the item being excluded.  You can check our list of excluded items on this link 

In accordance with our Terms & Conditions, we will not accept claims for:

•    Gardening and household tools

When you complete your order with us, you accepted these Terms & Conditions and as a result, we’ll now close this query.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this has caused

Kind regards,

Alfiya Sayed

Customer Service Advisor
Hermes Customer Services

This is the final reply from them, so it's case closed as far as they are concerned. Except Alfiya isn't considering it a grey area obviously

Gardening tools are only prohibited if they are not properly protected, you said it was protected and they accepted the parcel so I would say they agree it was.

Anyway, isn't a 362 a forestry tool so not covered by their restrictions?

If it was a private deal and you paid on a credit card you could claim damages from them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul in the woods said:

Gardening tools are only prohibited if they are not properly protected, you said it was protected and they accepted the parcel so I would say they agree it was.

Anyway, isn't a 362 a forestry tool so not covered by their restrictions?

If it was a private deal and you paid on a credit card you could claim damages from them.

When you paid for the collection did it not ask what the item was ? If  it did and you told them what it was they should have refused you there and then . ( I noticed that saw on the bay as I used to have one . Like a 372 but small mount and .325 running gear ) .

Yeas that's something I'm taking up with them currently. Garden and household tools not covered "unless properly packed" or words to that effect. So, a grey area

received.jpg Query Resolved

Reference: 200702-029893
Parcel ID: 1925376249500586
Subject: Hermes email enquiry

You recently requested our assistance through the online support pages. Below is a summary of your request and our response. If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next  7 days. Thank you for raising this with us.
To access your question from our support site, click here

Response By E-mail (Alfiya Sayed) (04/07/2020 10.47 AM) Dear             ,   Thanks for getting in touch with us about parcel number 1925376249500586   We're so sorry to hear that the contents of your parcel have been damaged.  The parcels go through several handling and transportation processes and on rare occasions this may happen.    We’ve had a look at your claim details and we’re sorry but we’re unable to accept this due to the item being excluded.  You can check our list of excluded items on this link    In accordance with our Terms & Conditions, we will not accept claims for:   •    Gardening and household tools   When you complete your order with us, you accepted these Terms & Conditions and as a result, we’ll now close this query.   We’re sorry for any inconvenience this has caused   Kind regards,

Alfiya Sayed

Customer Service Advisor
Hermes Customer Services

This is the final reply from them, so it's case closed as far as they are concerned. Except Alfiya isn't considering it a grey area obviously

Had a delayed delivery from Hermes, was container of gear oil which courier returned to depot resent out wrapped in plastic bag with additional delivery note stating basically as Hermes had accepted it courier had to deliver it. May be useful to you. IMG_20200704_190813.jpeg

I have had I guess 1000 saws over 5 years in via courier and TBH, I would have refused to carry a fair percentage of them. Most have gone OK, the drivers sometimes complain of petrol smell or sharp bits sticking out of the box which isn't unreasonable. Many I take one look at and dread opening the box as a shyte box means a shyte saw normally!

I see a fair number of MS200s being sent in a beer box. These boxes are thin and are best used to house bloody beer!!!!! One guy said he had packed his saw, I said "as long as he hasn't used a beer box", he said "how did you know"!!!!!!:cursing:

My rule of thumb is the saw should be fully drained, bagged and put in a decent box with a layer of packing on all sides with extra card in front of the dogs. If the parcel can be lifted to chest height and dropped on a solid concrete floor without the saw impacting, sharp bits coming through the box and no petrol smell, all is good.

If you have sent a saw in to me and it has come back in a different box, chances are you haven't a clue on how to pack a saw!!!!!

I use DHL and Parcelforce, mainly because I now know both guys well, DHL an overworked extremely dedicated Romanian as was his predecessor and ParcelForce as they are good with obscure addresses and he is a sensible decent fella. The APC fellas drop off my spares, also fine with no issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petercb said:

Had a delayed delivery from Hermes, was container of gear oil which courier returned to depot resent out wrapped in plastic bag with additional delivery note stating basically as Hermes had accepted it courier had to deliver it. May be useful to you. IMG_20200704_190813.jpeg

Thanks for this. Frankly it seems the decision has been made on my case, but the seller is not at all happy and wants it ideally taken further. A lot of the time I think the people calling the shots upstairs are those that upset me, not the drivers. It's the "we don't really give a toss if your goods are damaged" attitude thinly veiled with something more polite

Edited by Acerforestry