Courier woes

Acerforestry

4 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

Gardening tools are only prohibited if they are not properly protected, you said it was protected and they accepted the parcel so I would say they agree it was.

Anyway, isn't a 362 a forestry tool so not covered by their restrictions?

If it was a private deal and you paid on a credit card you could claim damages from them.

It was a paypal deal. The only issue here is I can probably get refunded, but they won't reimburse the seller as well and as he has done nothing wrong, I don't want him to lose out

Edited by Acerforestry
Grammar

17 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

No, not the case. In two emails they have confirmed that they damaged the packaging, it wasn't badly packed.

Hence a bit poor they then blame the two parties involved in the transaction

yes, badly damaged packaging, but what did they state the reason for destroying the item was? Ive had badly packaged items re-packaged by them and had to pay a fee. I'll assume it was destroyed as it was either dangerous or an item thats on the exclusion list. 

Edit: I was it was on the exclusion list and destroyed for that reason as suspected. 

Edited by trigger_andy

I sent a saw to another member recently. Drained, double wrapped in bin liners, double boxed with plenty of packing and was no issue. The sellers clearly done a bad job of packing and thats his responsibility, not yours. Id be making the paypal claim.  
Sadly, i agree. Seems harsh but if the seller arranged courier not buyer, its the sellers responsibility to check courier is ok to courier, package properly, and insure against loss or damage if they want to. If the seller has cocked up here its hardly fair that you just loose a saw

On 04/07/2020 at 09:06, Stubby said:

When you paid for the collection did it not ask what the item was ? If  it did and you told them what it was they should have refused you there and then . ( I noticed that saw on the bay as I used to have one . Like a 372 but small mount and .325 running gear ) 

Stubby yeah they do ask what item is and to be fair I leave the description fairly loose as "chainsaw" sadly reads "more valuable" to a lot of people and only last year myhermes "lost" a pair of chainsaw strides that eventually (2 months later) were compensated for. I don't buy the idea that items of a considerable size just disappear into the ether, sadly things are being nicked here and there. So its  described as "garden machinery", which might help, I don't know. It wasn't described as a Husqvarna chainsaw, anyway. Lets be frank, all this crap about it being "disposed of" nobody with any sense is going to believe

• Like 2

I think "Disposed of" probably means that it is either offered to employees or is disposed through auctioning off pallets of undisclosed parcel contents and people take a chance they can make some bucks on a pallet of "Stuff".

Online returns are often disposed of like this. I almost had similar when a customer pissed off to Turkey, didn't tell me and then had to sort out the fecking mess when the parcel couldn't be delivered!!!!

I usually stick with a couple of couriers, always pack stuff up well, if it doesn't look good, I wrap in black industrial shrink-wrap. I always drain kit and bag it so no smell, over estimate the weight, state the saw has been drained down before packing and have never had an issue with couriers.

As I said, some of the kit coming in via courier is a damn joke and am surprised some of it actually gets delivered.

The seller probably didn't pack it well, dogs sticking through the box, a bar sticking out or the saw not being bagged so it smells of fuel are the common ones and these probably the reasons it got held. Why they didn't repack or offer some sort of fine/repack is strange but I don't use Hermes as I don't consider them to be decent commercial carriers. DHL and ParcelForce do it for me, know both the drivers, tip them a few beers at Christmas, all goes a long way in my book!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Doesn't the courier need to show some proof it was poorly packaged? Otherwise isn't it an easy cop out if they damaged, lost etc a properly packaged parcel simply to claim it was poorly packaged?

You'd think so but if you're sending a prohibited item maybe not? Will all be in the small print.