Looking to buy my 1st processor

sihart100

Hi, I’m looking to buy my 1st processor and looking for some recommendations...

Currently we use a hydraulic power pack and a 10ton splitter on a makeshifts bench. but struggling to find enough time to get everything split as it’s a long slow process. 

Most of our firewood is arb waste and was originally looking at a Fuelwood Splitta 360/400 but as it would tie up my loader to run it so I’ve started looking at road tow processors as 50-70% of my logs would probably  go through it.

So far I’ve been looking at a Farmi WP36 road tow but is there any other processors that are worth looking at?

I don’t have a tractor so most pto ones are ruled out but i do have an avant 640  that I could run hydraulics from if needed,  but would prefer something with a engine to make life easer. 

Also if anyone knows of any decent 2nd hand ones for sale let me know please. As there doesn’t seem to be a lot about at the mo

11 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

Look on "firewood/log processors and related uk" group on Facebook always a few for sale on there. Mines on at the moment.

Thanks, I’ve tried joining that group but taking ages for an admin to approve me lol

Just had a quick look, and theres 4 for sale but all PTO. It's probably the best place for a wanted advert though.

Wilson's are always a good place to ring and ask, don't just go off there stock on there website though as they sometimes have trade ins sat in the yard. ( I've just bought a Dunn off them that wasnt advertised.)

Kilnworth and riko would be other places to get in touch with.

I was in the same position as you recently and bought my first processor for mainly arb waste. Admittedly I have a tractor so mine is pto but I can thoroughly recommend the Farmi WP36. A very well thought out machine and for 90% of my arb waste it is great. I’d say with one person operating it, it isn’t light years faster than chainsaw and splitter but it’s so easy not having to handle the wood as much.

5 hours ago, jonnygurkha said:

it isn’t light years faster than chainsaw and splitter but it’s so easy not having to handle the wood as much.

Ive bought a set of these. Cant think why I never bothered with them before. They are so handy and make picking up rounds a breeze. 

With a 4 way Head on my new 22t Splitter I can fairly whip through the logs and hardly break a sweat. Split right into a trailer on the Lawn Tractor and take to the bagging area. Can fill a 1.25 m3 bag in under an hour this way, including clogging up the logs. With two folk it would obviously be much faster. 

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-tools-A-great-range/Fuels-oils-and-accessories/Hand-tools-and-forestry-accessories/Hand-tools-for-forestry-work-and-tree-felling/Hooks-felling-levers-and-tongs/268362-63669/Hand-lifting-tongs-FP-20.aspx

• Like 1

For arb waste stick to the WP36.

If its your own arb waste you will soon alter how you cut stuff up to create better in feed stock.

Extra large rings can be pre cut so they fit in the splitter.

On paid jobs I can process arb stuff as fast as straight sticks if I have a good helper feeding me the bits.

You want the person on the processor to never let go of the controls. 

It can reduce an 8 hour day from 25 IBC's to 15 ish if you are not set up right.

• Like 2