Which UK city or region is the best for arb work??

wellhiggins

If you could start a one man band tree & hedge business anywhere in the UK, where would it be and why?

If you had no ties, no debt, mortgage, rent, wife or kids, and have the tickets, kit and van + trailer but no chipper.

Just generally, where is most profitable - here in the south west seems there's a tree firm round every corner.

Thinking about it now, it might not be the kind of info you'd want to share!

17 minutes ago, MattyF said:

..rent wife or kids 

I didn't know you could do that.. Is cheaper that way or can you just get rid when you have had enough... 

As to the OP. I am with Matty leave the UK.. I regularly regret setting up and settling down in the UK. 

• Like 2

If you can drive into London (Or any major conurbation in fact) everyday, waste hours sitting in traffic, then once there, drive around looking for parking, when you finally manage to get set up by the job you find a car parked underneath belonging to no one it seems. Telephone and power lines everywhere, and pedestrians leaping over signs and warning tape like brain damaged pheasants, followed by an equally torturous drive home, then the money is good.

I think everyone should do it, plus some utility arb, just so there’s no moaning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stere said:

So somewhere with generous millionaires with huge gardens and a labour shortage but is free to live for you?

And all customers happy to leave waste as habit piles etc as no chipper?

You could live near the millionaires in a caravan. Would be a pain to fit all your tools in though. Easier between a few of you.

Race into London like Dempsey said, but it's a nightmare if you catch it wrong. It's where the tut is at. Personally in the op's case I'd race to Wimslow in Cheshire, cheap to live not far out and plenty of tut floating about.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MattyF said:

No debt ,rent wife or kids I would choose Canada , Norway , Sweden then new Zealand and then maybe most unpopulated place I could find in Scotland... In that order.

So why these countries? I know pay is better in Scandinavia but living costs are eye-watering no? Does Canada have more trees, less traffic and more parking? (That is appealing though)

2 hours ago, Stere said:

So somewhere with generous millionaires with huge gardens and a labour shortage but is free to live for you?

And all customers happy to leave waste as habit piles etc as no chipper?

Ideally yes exactly that... I live in my van full time and have space for me+kit. Would need to rent a yard to keep trailer. I'm thinking mainly small trees and hedges tbh and possibly hire a chipper for big jobs/trees.

I believe I could up sticks and move to near any French city and make a viable business.

If I had to move, I'd choose Nantes on the Loire but I've also worked West of Paris where the soft rolling chalk hills remind me of the home counties and the money therein.

Stuart