Fitting diff locks to a ranger

combined tree services

Hiya guys , i have been thinking about fitting diff locks to my ford ranger as it is not fitted with them but im not at all sure weather this is possible , my idea was to look into fitting air lockers a bit like the ones that can be fitted to a landrover , does anyone know if this is possible ??

Dave- just buy a flippin landy ffs- by the time you have done all this to your ranger you will probably be no better off off road than a standard landy, and locking diffs will set you back well into 4 figures by the time you have bought good ones and had them fitted. Most require alterations to diff pans and drilling etc etc, plus operating systems etc etc, and wihtout gettign into a 'which vehicle is best' argument, you are going to fit all this gubbins to a ford made thing. They just arent designed for serious off road work mate, they fall to pieces, and on top of that, i have seen landcruisers with all diff locks locked and totally stuck, and another one the same sailing by with just the centre locker in. Its down to the driver usually, and relying on them can get you into FAR more trouble than they will get you out of IME.

Just trying to save you £1000's mate.:001_smile:

??? what style/year ranger?

about 5 years ago i used to drive an older style one, rear had a LSD as standard (beam axle) which is as good as diff lock imo, if not better as less chance to break anything. and when you engaged 4wd, drive went to the front wheels which were independant suspension, can you diff lock ind suspension? anyway so in effect you had 3wd minimum. . . i think. twas a looong time ago

diff locks and winches??? buy a landy and be done with it!

Dave- just buy a flippin landy ffs- by the time you have done all this to your ranger you will probably be no better off off road than a standard landy, and locking diffs will set you back well into 4 figures by the time you have bought good ones and had them fitted. Most require alterations to diff pans and drilling etc etc, plus operating systems etc etc, and wihtout gettign into a 'which vehicle is best' argument, you are going to fit all this gubbins to a ford made thing. They just arent designed for serious off road work mate, they fall to pieces, and on top of that, i have seen landcruisers with all diff locks locked and totally stuck, and another one the same sailing by with just the centre locker in. Its down to the driver usually, and relying on them can get you into FAR more trouble than they will get you out of IME.

Just trying to save you £1000's mate.:001_smile:

Well said that man! :thumbup1:

to be honest the reason i want to fit the winch i have to the ranger and looking into diff locks is because we do alot of utility work but also have to travel a fair distence lets be honest its comfortable to drive , it WILL go anywhere a landrover does and i dont spend any time under the bonnet lol , i used to use a landrover when i worked for a company in devon and i found that at 6ft2 tall it was really not comfortable to drive but each to there own i think if you have one vehicle that you use for everything then yeah maybe a landy is for you but i want this to be for utility work where it will not be carrying massve weight but it will spend loads of time off road etc . as for getting stuck myself and dangerous brian were out in the snow on rthurday at work and ended up pulling cars and transit vans up a fairly steep hill and to be honest i was pretty impressed how well the ranger did tbh.

but i must say thanks for the advice tommer i do appreciate it mate , give me a shout next time the landy is stuck in a muddy puddle lmao

the problem is they lack weight over the rear axle, my b2500 will go where i want it to, i belive this is down to tyre choice and thinking about where im driving and dont think difflockers will make an exceptional difference.

ps my sj will go everywhere and more a modded landy will