Fitting diff locks to a ranger

combined tree services

I totally agree with what you and John say about landies and other trucks, i just feel that the defender is the end product of 50 years of building what essentially started out as mini tractors, and havent really moved on, hence what is really good about them is there bare bones- chassis, gearing, adaptability, slowness, unrivalled (when in standard form) off road capabilities at the cost of crap electrics, comfort (for larger people), build quality in bodywork and fittings (all the bits that arent the trator bit basically). I think the point i was trying to make is not at all that rangers etc are crap, just that when really abused and worked hard etc, such as in the environment Dave does a lot of work in described above, in my opinion, and anecdotal evidence suggests, landrovers last and perform better. I honestly believe that diff locks could get you into far more difficulties than out of, you may be prepared to push the vehicle so much further, loaded heavily, stressing over the job blah blah, and then get really really stuck/ broken etc For 'sport' off roading i think that is irrelevant, but in a work environment it is.

I have just deleted the other half of this post as it was getting even more rambling......:blushing:

some great points there tommer , im still really not sure what to do , i think the ranger will have the winch fitted and thats it , lets face it , it is what it is and does verry well , i have realised recently that it aint up for being loaded to the max every day but it is good off road and great when im called out for western power and i need to get me brian and a shed load of kit miles accross fields .

some great points there tommer , im still really not sure what to do , i think the ranger will have the winch fitted and thats it , lets face it , it is what it is and does verry well , i have realised recently that it aint up for being loaded to the max every day but it is good off road and great when im called out for western power and i need to get me brian and a shed load of kit miles accross fields .

I reckon thats he best way forward. It is a great truck for what it does, but a winch would totally sort it.:thumbup1:

You picked up those new BFGs yet?:001_smile:

We Have a daihatsu fourtrak commercial and its great. there are abit cheaper than the land rover but similar no frills Vehicle. its a great tool.

We use it for work in the day the day and we also use it for lamping and up until now we having got stuck (using common sense).

Edited by j warwick

has it not got a limited slip diff in the rear axle?? if you go the air lockers route you may have to uprate half shafts as they have a tendancy to snap if u give it too much beans and you have too much traction......something has to give.

alternative is a detroit locker, they are damned good off road and not so harsh on drive trains.

end of the day alot of it is down to the driver, if it looks like you shouldnt be there then probably you shouldnt!!! from experience i have found with both my defenders and both my hiluxs, big tyres and diff locks just get you stuck that much further in!!!