Which sander

gobbypunk

So thinking about getting a Merka sander with the Hoover that comes with it but then I spotted a Hoover that works the same but for £60 So the Merka set up is £700 or I could just get the cheaper Hoover and a Makita or Dewalt sander saving as good few quid ,what Sanders does everyone use and how do you rate them.

Thanks Mark 

is it an orbital or belt sander you want?

i've just upgraded belt sander, spoke to a chippy mate and he said get a Makita 9403 which i did

i've been really impressed with it, 1200w have to hold on to it!

the pickup into the bag is seriously good as well, didn't know it was possible for a bag to pickup so much without a hoover to be honest

got a really clean second hand one, £140 plus bag and drive belt so total about £155

get Mirka belts, not the cheapest but last loads longer 

I’ve a Bosch GEX 125-150, I really rate it, cracking sander and does a great job, never get any pigtails in the work and it’s supposed to have the least vibration of any sander. They are about £225, will work on a cheap hover if you can find an adapter to fit. Nothing a couple of jubilee Clips would fix though to be honest.

There’s an appropriate Bosch vac available for about £200 I think.

Good luck

I use the Mirka Deros with 6 inch pads, it is superb...I connect to a standard record RSDE2 dust extractor that gets used for everything...heard of people connecting these to vacuums such as Henry...

Mirka do live hands on demos, they have reps who go to local merchants such as dulux decorator centre...you might be able to get a demo arranged..

The tech support is great, if you have a sanding or abrasive life problem they will help...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, john meehan said:

I’ve a Bosch GEX 125-150, I really rate it, cracking sander and does a great job, never get any pigtails in the work and it’s supposed to have the least vibration of any sander. They are about £225, will work on a cheap hover if you can find an adapter to fit. Nothing a couple of jubilee Clips would fix though to be honest.

There’s an appropriate Bosch vac available for about £200 I think.

Good luck

I also have one of these.  Absolutely brilliant.  Works well with the Mirka sanding disks - so you could have the best of both worlds.

I had to buy the plastic piece that links it to a vacuum cleaner as that wasn't included with the original sander.  Bought the part from Germany via ebay.

Edited by Bunzena
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I went with the Mirka with its own hoover bloody expensive but got a 3yr warranty going to give it its first go today it says dust free sanding and that will be ace for my COPD also looking for a big dust extractor for my big thicknesser if anyone has one they no longer want