Portable Capstan winch rope slipping-Advice Please

Melton Martin

Morning All,

I have a portable two stroke capstan winch which is used for light forestry work on the farm, (it's also useful for large game extraction and moving stuck vehicles). However, I cannot get the capstan to pull once the light tension is put on the rope. I am using the manufacturers recommended rope, 10mm Braid on braid Polyester rope, but once I start to take up the slack to engage the "friction" the capstan drum initially talks purchase, but once the load comes on it just rotates. i.e. takes no purchase on the rope. I am sure I have threaded the rope onto the capstan drum correctly and I have tried wetting the rope, putting a bit of leaf mould on the rope and drum in an attempt to increase the friction coefficient, with no result.The winch is rated to pull 1,000 kgs and I have tried pulling much less than that, so it can't be overloaded. I have tried non recommended ropes with stretch and low melting points, still same result-no purchase! Very frustrating as all the youtube clips never have this problem......

Any thoughts out there ? It seems such a simple problem, that I am sure I doing something stupid.

Many Thanks.

16 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Try more wraps

Yes he doesn't mention how many wraps he's trying, I find my Eder needs 4 at least and preferably 5 wraps to guarantee a good pull.

I also read his post as saying the drum continues to rotate so cannot think of much else that would cause slip.

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes he doesn't mention how many wraps he's trying, I find my Eder needs 4 at least and preferably 5 wraps to guarantee a good pull.

I also read his post as saying the drum continues to rotate so cannot think of much else that would cause slip.

Which Eder have you got and what diameter rope do you use?

We sell capstan winches and would be happy to help figure out what is going on. 

As others have said make sure you have filled the drum with wraps.

But in my experience it is usually the rope that is at fault.

Please drop me an email with the make and model of winch and brand of rope and I will try and help:

[email protected]

• Like 1