Log Moulder!!

Johnsond

Hi All 

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere up in Aberdeenshire where I can get some 75mm thick beams ran through a moulder to create an interlocking type joint. Not fussy in regards type of profile ?‍♂️
Cheers 

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All 

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere up in Aberdeenshire where I can get some 75mm thick beams ran through a moulder to create an interlocking type joint. Not fussy in regards type of profile ?‍♂️
Cheers 

Why not do it your self ? How straight are the beams and are they staying rough or pse 

6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Why not do it your self ? How straight are the beams and are they staying rough or pse 

This is all slightly speculative Les. Options are to do single tongue and groove etc myself or see if anyone had a log moulder up here. Some are already dressed and some rough so I guess I’ll end up having to run them all through the planer to get them uiniform. 

Edited by Johnsond

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All 

Cheers 

Could you biscuit joint them, then it could all be done with a router?

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

T+G would be the easiest method which i was going to suggest and a half decent router and a couple of sash clamps would have done it. What is the finished use for them ?

They are to be Cabin walls Les up at the lads place, building a little set up to include a cabin and covered hot tub etc, beams are Spruce and nice and straight. I’ll cut intersecting corner joints and probs just use a circ saw to do the tongue cuts and the edges of the groove plus a router to finish the centre. Beams are 4.8m so it’s fairly labour intensive hence I’d have happily ran them through a moulder. 

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge but the OP has said softwood. We glued some steel flitch plates  in to sister/tandem some floor joists and that seemed to work

Les is probably considering the seasonal movement with timber beams of that size. Tongue will probs be 20-25mm and more than likely long timber screws at intervals along the beams. 

36 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

They are to be Cabin walls Les up at the lads place, building a little set up to include a cabin and covered hot tub etc, beams are Spruce and nice and straight. I’ll cut intersecting corner joints and probs just use a circ saw to do the tongue cuts and the edges of the groove plus a router to finish the centre. Beams are 4.8m so it’s fairly labour intensive hence I’d have happily ran them through a moulder. 

Go traditional then and half lap joints at the corners and could use inch dowel as you drop each beam on top of each other to lock in the middle sections . Make up a jig if you go that route.Are these external walls or internal ?

Edited by topchippyles